Where is Yammer Data Stored? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work with a University and we are implementing SharePoint 2013 and I am exploring into Yammer, I like it a lot but I have one really big question that concerns it. With being a University we have to keep backups of any conversation that is said between Professors or faculty. So my question is where is yammer data stored? This is for legal reasons that the state has us do. One other big question, so if SharePoint server goes down does Yammer? If anyone knows any of these questions please let me know! I'm newish to SharePoint so any information helps a TON!

Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:45 AM

Answers

• Yammer is completely independent of SharePoint. No yammer content is stored in SharePoint's databases. It's a completely cloud based system.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

• Marked as answer by c_reif1994 Monday, November 9, 2015 3:19 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 8:35 PM
  • Yammer is a cloud service. All the data in Yammer is stored on services and disks owned by Microsoft. Any Yammer data that is surfaced from the API into SharePoint is just data that is displayed from the cloud servers and isn't stored in SharePoint or local databases.

There's not a whole lot of info out there about backing up Yammer. There isn't an out of the box way to do it. The developer API used to provide a way to connect and export data, but I'm having trouble finding the resource now. If it's still available you could use this to develop a custom tool for backing up your Yammer data. I believe some third party tools may offer Yammer Backups, for example AvePoint's DocAve has some data loss prevention capabilities for Yammer. I haven't personally used this tool so I don't know if it will suit you, I mention it simply as a possibility.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:14 PM

All replies

• Yammer is completely independent of SharePoint. No yammer content is stored in SharePoint's databases. It's a completely cloud based system.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Saturday, November 7, 2015 8:35 PM
  • Yammer is a cloud service. All the data in Yammer is stored on services and disks owned by Microsoft. Any Yammer data that is surfaced from the API into SharePoint is just data that is displayed from the cloud servers and isn't stored in SharePoint or local databases.

There's not a whole lot of info out there about backing up Yammer. There isn't an out of the box way to do it. The developer API used to provide a way to connect and export data, but I'm having trouble finding the resource now. If it's still available you could use this to develop a custom tool for backing up your Yammer data. I believe some third party tools may offer Yammer Backups, for example AvePoint's DocAve has some data loss prevention capabilities for Yammer. I haven't personally used this tool so I don't know if it will suit you, I mention it simply as a possibility.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:14 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, I decided not to use Yammer with my SharePoint site.
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it.
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:20 AM