none
Microsoft Band 2 Bluetooth protocol needed RRS feed

• Question

• Copied from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/band/forum/msband2-band_hardware/microsoft-band-2-bluetooth-protocol-needed/1a77dea5-6434-4acc-a5eb-0b035cb020ec?rtAction=1472062578051

Question 
    • You are subscribed to this thread

Microsoft Band 2 Bluetooth protocol needed

gtsky303 asked on <button aria-label="Date" class="msaActionText msgHistoryBtn info-panel-toggle-link" data-panelcontainer=".userInfo" data-paneltarget="#message-history-holder-3a9903a3-0065-4e5d-af20-381d26deda5b" style="color:#006cd8;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;font-size:inherit;line-height:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;cursor:pointer;padding:0px;border:none;display:inline;" title="See post history">August 1, 2016See post history</button>

I am developing a Java application to run on Windows 10 and would like to capture a live data stream from the Microsoft Band 2.  I see that there are SDKs for phones and Windows C# but nothing for Java (I would prefer not to have to use JNI or a bridge to access the c# SDK).  I have used third party bluetooth libraries like BlueCove in the past  to help with 2-way bluetooth communication between my application and other wearable sensors.  

My question is that I would like to know the bluetooth communication protocol needed to initialize, start and retrieve the various data streams on the device.  This would most likely come down to the byte array values needed to start a bluetooth data stream (e.g. accelerometer) on the device.

I hope that this can be made public so Microsoft can encourage additional software development using their device. 

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi gtski303,

Thank you for your question.  I'm with the protocols team and I'll look into this for you

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi gtsky303,

Thank you for raising this request.  At this time, the protocol specifications are not published and there are no plans to do so.  I made your interest known to the appropriate team within Microsoft and they received your feedback.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, August 29, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hello Bryan,

Now that the Band and Health services will be discontinued, I'd like to still use my band, but make my own app to connect to other services. Is there any way Microsoft will publish the protocol details now?

Even better would be if we could get details about how to write our own firmware for the Band/Band 2.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Martijn,

Duplicating my response on thread https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06ef60b2-5235-4a66-8c90-ec28c44c46f7/requesting-documentation-for-binary-file-format-sent-to-the-microsoft-health-platform?forum=os_specifications#81cac530-54d3-47f4-91f2-bc2bff6a5450:

The protocols and binary file format involving Microsoft Band data sent to the Microsoft Health service have not been published and there are no plans to do so.  For the benefit of other readers of this thread, the FAQ “End of support for the Microsoft Health Dashboard applications and services: FAQ” can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4467073/end-of-support-for-the-microsoft-health-dashboard-applications?ocid=ema_rmc_band_eos_faq.”

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:41 AM