ComponentModel data annotations: explicitly defining database table name separate from class name in code RRS feed

• Question

• User-734459410 posted

So I'm working on a photo gallery as a project, and have a class named Category (used to categorize pictures), which holds basic information about a category (basically a unique ID that can be referenced in other tables, and a name field):

public class Category
    {
      [Key]
      [Required]
      public int Id;

[Required]
      [Display(Name = "Category Name")]
      public string Name;
    }

I'm using E-F code first in this project, and wanted to know if there is a way that I can tell E-F / SQL server to use the table name "Categories" instead of "Category" which it would pick up by default based on the class name when the E-F relationship data model is added/built.  Is there a annotation I can use to specify the name of the table that E-F should use rather than the class name?  I want to specify this, so that when I create instances of this class (Category) it's easy to read, and doesn't look like:

public cat = new Categories();
    // I don't want this

public cat = new Category();
    // I want this

// But I want SQL Server / E-F to call the entity "Categories" in the database

Ideas?

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:44 AM

All replies

• User-734459410 posted

Nevermind, I think that I can use [Table("name")] to do this, unless anyone thinks this might not be a good idea....?

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:48 AM
  • User1400794712 posted

Hi cbassett,

Use [Table("name")] is really a good idea to do it. So, I post here just to provide another idea.

In the Context class, override OnModelCreating to specify the name of table:

public class TestContext : DbContext
    {
        public DbSet<Category> Category { get; set; }
        protected override void OnModelCreating(DbModelBuilder modelBuilder)
        {
            modelBuilder.Entity<Category>().ToTable("Categories");
        }
    }

For more information, please refer to this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/jj591620.aspx

Best Regards,

Daisy

Friday, January 12, 2018 7:09 AM