none
Update SharePoint List item from Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Outlook 2010 and SharePoint 2010 in my pc. Upon click of a custom button in Outlook ribbon, I want to update a list item in SharePoint based on some rules. I achieved this with Outlook 2010 Addin template in VS. I created a custom ribbon button using Visual Designer template and used SharePoint managed client object model to update SharePoint list. But i could execute it only if i change the target framework from ".net framework 4.0 client profile" to ".net framework 4.0" otherwise it throws error upon build that "System.Web" is not available with selected target framework. By default Outlook 2010 addin template uses ".net framework 4.0 client profile".

My question is

1. Will there be any issue if i change the target framework

2. What will happen if the end user doesn't have .net framework 4.0 full installed in his pc

3. Should i package .net framework 4.0 full along with my Outlook addin if its not there in end user pc

4. Is there any alternative to talk to SharePoint instead of client object model

Any suggestions or reference to relevant material would help a lot.

Thanks,

Mahesh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rajmahes,

Thanks for postig in the MSDN forum.

I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can solve it. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Ad1. No, there should be no issue with using .net full profile

Ad2. your add-in will either refuse to load or crash during runtime, depending how do you reference types from dlls that are not in client profile

Ad3. yes, you should use prerequisites option in setup project.

Ad4. yes, web services approach which suffers from the same problem (System.Web.WebServices assembly is needed) and using sharepoint object model directly but that will work if target sharepoint is on the same machine as your outlook add-in.

Ad4 a - you can however, if you REALLY want, use for example WebClient from System.Net which is in Client profile, to make your web services call manually, much more work but if full profile bothers you then this is a way.

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Thanks for your inputs, DamianD.

Next steps

1. I will first try using WebClient from System.Net

2. Web services

I found this one very interesting article from Beth Massi. Will try this on Monday. Post that i will update.

Integrate Outlook Appointments with SharePoint 2010 Calendar Lists using Data Services

Thanks Tom, for taking your time to involve an expert.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:59 PM