none
Office 365 Containers \ Teams Bloat \ Redirections.XML RRS feed

• Question

• For those that use FSLogix for just Office 365 Containers, we suffer from severe VHDX bloat due to Teams caching.  We do not (yet) have the luxury of filtering out the CACHE folders in Teams.  I've heard that some folks have leveraged AppMasking to help, but I've never found a good guide on the internet or this Forum showing how to accomplish this filtering.

Can anyone at Microsoft comment on this issue, as we have stopped the caching of Teams due to the massive VHDX file size.  The performance was great...but the unnecessary VHDX size was just unacceptable for production.

We just want to exclude a few folders from the O365 containers, can we get this ability in future FSLogix versions? 

• <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
    • <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Current\Locales</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Packages\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams\Logs</Exclude>
      <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack</Exclude>

John in Tampa

Thursday, October 8, 2020 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

There is a pretty good Citrix article about this. It's for profile management but you can apply it to FSLogix as well:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html

It's also important to install the Teams MSI with the ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1 MSI flags and run it from Program Files. Otherwise every user will have a full installation in local appdata.

Further more, if you exclude these folders with FSLogix you still need to delete them manually from the profile. I'm using a simple batch script for this which runs at user logon, like this:

rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams\Logs"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\GPUCache"
    rd /s /q "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\meeting-addin\Cache"

I've heard that future FSLogix version will get an option to auto-delete all the excluded stuff. But then when you delete it you still need to compact the VHDX. I'm using this script for that:

https://github.com/FSLogix/Invoke-FslShrinkDisk

I'm running this in weekends when I'm sure most VHDX files are not in use.

Hope this help!

Friday, October 9, 2020 7:17 AM
  • Thanks Martijn,

Since we are using Office O365 Containers, I could just delete the VHDX, and let it rebuild.

My biggest problem is that I do not want to capture the the Teams CACHE files/folders in the first place...

For now, I'm still using VMWare's DEM to capture the following:

[IncludeFiles]
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\desktop-config.json
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\storage.json
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\settings.json
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Preferences
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\preauth.json
    <AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Cookies

[IncludeFolderTrees]
    <LocalAppData>\Microsoft\IdentityCache\

This is pretty much the bare minimum, and it retains enough for Teams to be functional.  If I use FSLogix O365 containers, it is a MUCH FASTER feeling from the user's perspective.  The performance is much better due to some of the cached files.  But the VHDX size is amazingly large... We are looking for a way to filter the Office O365 containers, with something like the redirections.xml used for the FSLogix Profiles containers.

John in Tampa

Friday, October 9, 2020 12:55 PM
  • Ah I see what you mean, yes there is no option for a redirections file when you are using O365 containers.

There is only the GPO: Include Office cache data in the container. But I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to Teams.

So yeah you'll have to switch to full profile containers for that, which I recommend anyway.

Friday, October 9, 2020 1:09 PM
  • We've been thinking about switching from VMware DEM to FSLogix, but these issues are  holding us back:

1. LARGE VHDX files that are difficult to manage.  We have about 16,000 users. 
    2. Microsoft Support for FSLogix is notoriously awful, as the company has not yet been fully merged into the standard support cycle.

John in Tampa

Friday, October 9, 2020 1:26 PM
  • We've been thinking about switching from VMware DEM to FSLogix, but these issues are  holding us back:

1. LARGE VHDX files that are difficult to manage.  We have about 16,000 users. 
    2. Microsoft Support for FSLogix is notoriously awful, as the company has not yet been fully merged into the standard support cycle.

John in Tampa

Yeah I agree with 2 lol.

As for 1, you can move a couple of users, add more at the time. Built up a redirections.xml to reduce profile bloat. That's how we're doing it, coming from Citrix Profile Management.

Friday, October 9, 2020 2:50 PM
  • You should be able to use the resize-VHD cmdlet.

Give it a try, but backup your VHDX first :)

Saturday, October 10, 2020 4:24 AM