Is there a way to enable/disable media hardware acceleration?

Question

• Hi, I am doing a MFT video effect.  And I found inserting the video effect will hugely bring down the mp4 playback performance. It seems like the hardware acceleration had to be turn off. Is this a correct behavior? Is there any way to know that the hardware acceleration turning on or not?  Can I  enable/disable the hardware acceleration when playing mp4?

And as for the dramatic performance drawback after inserting the video effect, does that mean we can't do a proper software video processing video effect? Because currently even the simplest video effect might hammer the playback smoothness, this would definitely limit the purpose and application of video effect. Is there a practical way to deal with it?

Thank you!
    Ernest

Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Ernest,

I discussed your situation with the Windows Media team and this was their feedback.

You are using a software video effect on the output of a hardware-accelerated H.264 decoder.  This will inherently cause the decoder to switch to software-decode mode, as it would cost the system more to copy the hardware-accelerated result back to CPU for the effect processing, and then copy it again back to GPU.  In order to preserve efficiency, the effect would have to be D3D accelerated.  This MSDN topic has information about D3D aware MFTs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663585(v=VS.85).aspx

Note that the investment in making a proper D3D-aware video effect can be quite extensive.

Thanks,

-David

Monday, October 31, 2011 11:52 PM