none
V4 User Property Bag size limitation RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any size limitation for the user property bag in V4 Print Drivers ?.  I need to know the size limitations for the property bag as a whole as well as the maximum size of any individual property (string or byte) ?
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:37 PM

Answers

• We don't recommend making the user property bag very large. In the best case, this will cause poor performance, and in the worst case, you may run into failures associated with the backing store used for the properties.

The user property bag is best used to store settings and preferences expressed by the user. You should use the smallest possible properties available to store this information. For example, if the user indicates that they always wish to print duplex, you should store that as a Boolean value instead of storing an entire PrintTicket. If it's absolutely necessary, you shouldn't encounter major issues storing something on the order of 10s of KB, but I would discourage going much larger than that as it would increase the odds you'll run into issues.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:26 PM

All replies

• We don't recommend making the user property bag very large. In the best case, this will cause poor performance, and in the worst case, you may run into failures associated with the backing store used for the properties.

The user property bag is best used to store settings and preferences expressed by the user. You should use the smallest possible properties available to store this information. For example, if the user indicates that they always wish to print duplex, you should store that as a Boolean value instead of storing an entire PrintTicket. If it's absolutely necessary, you shouldn't encounter major issues storing something on the order of 10s of KB, but I would discourage going much larger than that as it would increase the odds you'll run into issues.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Thanks for the information Justin. Does the same recommendation apply to Queue property bag as well ?
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Dear Justin,

From above  conversation , it implies that , User Property Bag size can have something on the order of 10s of KB .

However I need to know safe value for "order of 10s of KB".

Is it safer to have User Property Bag size < 100 KB ?

OR

It should exceed  50 KB ?.

Please share me if you have more details.

With Thanks & Regards

Gajanana D S

Friday, December 23, 2016 8:30 AM