Test Results window displays different data than the Test Explorer..? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a test projects and  and I use selenium framework.

I also use a test controller and agents to run my tests.

Everything worked perfectly on TFS 2010 and on VS 2010

After we upgraded the TFS and VS to 2012 (both with update 2), I discovered weird thing that the test result window displays all the tests as Skipped while the test explorer displays some passed, some failed and some skipped…

This is what I do to reproduce it:

1. Open the test solution
    2. Select the correct testsettings to run tests on remove Test controller\agents
    3. Wait until test are done and see results in test explorer
    4. From test runs window I connect to test controller machine
    5. I Choose the last run from completed runs row
    6. The test result window displays all tests as skipped (yellow)

My questions:

• Does there a compatibility issues with test results window in VS 2012?
    • Why the test results are different in test explorer and in test results windows?
    • Is there any place I can see a log of the controller?

Thanks,

Roy

R.R

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Roy,

Which kind of tests are you running, the coded UI test or the load test or others? Could you share us a screen shot about the result?

As far as I know, it doesn’t generate the test result file (.trx file) in test result window if we run the test in VS2012 IDE. But you could run it in command line, and then check it again.

Reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/548fe567-3357-4cf1-9fa7-0330977b87a1/whats-skipped-tests

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Jack Hello,

Thanks for Replying.

I use a very-simple unit testing, actually, I've decided to recheck the whole thing and created 1 test project with 5 unit tests with some TestContext,WriteLine("..").all test passed of course.

when running them with test controller on test agent, they also passed BUT:

1. If I try to view the reults from test results window, I need to connect to the test controller machine from test runs window. this window almost every time stucks and freezes VS. If I wait too long I finally can see the results. why it takes too much time?
    2. after the test runs window loads the data, I choose a test run row and click connect, this action loads the result details into the test results window BUT the result are in Pending status and after few minutes the turned to Yello with Not Executed.

- The tests passed on the test controller\agent - I can see the results in the test explorer window

- The test results window displays wrong information

- The test runs make VS freeze. I feel that this window does not work as it should

I want to emphasize that

-My main request was to view the test results that run on a test controller\agent

- Suppose I want to view the test results from last week, how can I view it? what are my options? The Test Explorer does not have this feature..that's why I turned to the old-and-good test results

Thanks again for helping out,

Roy

R.R

• Edited by Roy.Rosenberg Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:08 AM clearing
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hi Roy,

If you run a simple web test (not the unit test) as the previous steps, could you get the test result in the Test Result window? As far as I know, the test result window doesn’t show the test results like the following connect report, so I’m afraid that it doesn’t support it by design.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/750184/test-results-window-does-not-show-test-results

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:13 AM