none
where are the .Net Standard & .Net core templates for vb.net? VS2017

Question

• where are the .Net Standard & .Net core templates for vb.net?

where are the .Net Standard & .Net core templates for vb.net?

Eric

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 12:29 AM

All replies

• Are you referring to VB for F#? If not I'd like to add my ten cents.
    • Edited by George-Frias Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:23 AM clarity
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:22 AM
  • I'm talking about vb.net but;

I'm sure they left out f# also, assholes only care about c# as usual...

Eric

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Aw man, I gotta be honest. I've gotten great joy out of your last post.
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:22 AM
  • I tell it like it is

Eric

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, it just like you found that the .NET Core and .NET Standard doesn’t yet support VB or F#. I checked it in my VS 2017 RTM version and found some information from ASP.NET 5 is dead - Introducing ASP.NET Core 1.0 and .NET Core 1.0 and Scott Hanselman said ASP.NET Core 1.0 is a 1.0 release that includes Web API and MVC but doesn't yet have SignalR or Web Pages. It doesn't yet support VB or F#. It will have these subsystems someday but not today. It looks like we still need to pay attention to waiting for this new feature be added into VB.NET. To know the detail information, please go to dotnet/standard or dotnet/coreGitHub repository and start a New issue for your issue, you will get a more professional support from there, thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, I found a similar issue and you can have a look at, it describes some reasons that why it have not support yet, hope it helpful for your issue.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 3:14 AM
  • I will not accept that answer.

The not supported link is over a year old.

Visual Studio told me on 7-Feb that it would be supported.

https://twitter.com/eschneider001/status/829005000839921664

Eric

Thursday, March 09, 2017 3:39 AM
  • And I guess this (VB and F# exclusion) is happening because VS Code is more important. I'll be truthful, I'm weening myself off VS Code because of no spell checker, but mostly because of VSTS.
    • Edited by George-Frias Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:14 AM finish
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:12 AM
  • FYI;

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/26291/no-vbnet-templates-for-net-core-or-net-standard.html

I guess I should stop paying for Visual Studio, and use the free version, I think I should get my MSDN Subscription money back...

Eric

Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you for your update and the confirmation information that comes from the VS Product Team, sorry for this inconvenience and misunderstanding.

You can try to install the free version: VS community 2017 and it also have a lots of feature to help your development, please have a look at this: Compare VS 2017 Offerings and you can sign in with your Microsoft account before 30 trial days to unlock it with free.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:14 AM
  • http://www.ask.com/web?q=c%23%20allergy

http://www.ask.com/web?q=c%23%20phobia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Visual_Basic_.NET

For me, F# research is about the comparison of VB and C# because I'm not leaving VB for C# in this iteration of my F# C# learning in project creation.

• Edited by George-Frias Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:05 AM time travel
    Friday, March 10, 2017 6:34 AM
  • What is that? Are you inferring I can't or don't want to code in c#?

I code in c# every day, but I have lots of code already in vb.net.

Eric

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Oh sorry. You I haven't really thought of. It seems to be a VB flavor some how. I never code in C#.

And I'd like to add that whatever you're doing, it must be good and I support it.

• Edited by George-Frias Friday, March 10, 2017 10:09 PM finish
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:54 PM
  • It's crazy - I know how many customers we would have left if we released the full version of an application half finished - about as much good as the proverbial chocolate fire guard!

Back in January it was 'The tooling is not complete, it's preview. The next release of VS17 will have them...'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/tutorials/first-mvc-app/start-mvc#comments-container

It looks like something is happening here, if I could figure out how to add the templates

https://github.com/dotnet/sdk/tree/master/src/Templates/ProjectTemplates/VisualBasic/.NETCore

In the meantime more projects on hold...

Qui me amat, amet et canem meum

Saturday, March 11, 2017 8:39 PM
  • 'Currently, VB is not supported by .NET Core or .NET Standard.  We are investigating adding this functionality in the future.'

Are they for real??? The future was meant to be when VS 2017 was released!

What's next? Forget to add spell check in Word? Leave out half the functions in Excel?

Saturday, March 11, 2017 8:53 PM
  • Hi gchq_fox,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

We are so sorry for this inconvenience, and I found the sentence “We expect F# support in the first half of 2017 and then VB support after that.” from Announcing .NET Core Tools 1.0. It seems this feature is in the progress and I already reported this to the .NET Core Product Team, please check this: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/17021 and waiting for the feedback from the .NET Core Product Team Engineers, I will update it in here if I get any confirmation from there, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:53 AM
  • The good news is that VS2017 doesn't crash after each line of code like VS2015, so I don't have to write it in Notepad and paste back into VS - was very productive with a WPF project today - not one crash, even after a typo and had to backspace!!

Took a while to find where they hid breakpoints after removing them from the context menu, but otherwise a major improvement... Now if we can get these VB templates before I retire...

Off course MSDN has to crash on me instead :-)

MSDN Crash

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:38 PM
  • Hi gchq_fox,

Thank you for your feedback.

I took a look at the issue that I reported on GitHub and there has no reply from the product team, I will take care of it in the future, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:05 AM