none
Install error on Win 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulties installing a custom WDM driver( just for test purpose only) on Win 8 64 bit VM. When I build the driver in VS 2013, the driver is signed. When I try to install the same driver on Win 8 64 bit VM using devcon utility I am getting the below error in setupapi.dev file:

Error 0xe000024b: The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering.
    I came across similar posts online but didn't find helpful. I tried by signing the driver using signtool.exe. But that  also doesn't seem to work. In my folder from where I run the devcon utility I have the inf file, the driver and the catalog file. I also have enabled the testsigning mode  ON. What could be wrong here? I am aware that if we make any changes to the INF, etc, then the driver has to be signed again otherwise the catalog will be damaged. But isn't it OK to rebuild the driver to get the catalog file correctly built?
    Monday, July 14, 2014 5:47 PM

All replies

• are you pulling these files from the driver package project or from the driver project?  make sure you are copying all three files over to the target machine.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Doron. I am copying all three files from the package folder.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Hi Doron, it is Win 8. The issue was with date time change in driver version in inf. Fixed it by setting the Use Local Time option in project properties->Inf2Cat section. Thanks..

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:42 AM
  • I understand that this happens when the time changes, right? When building and deploying before 12 AM, there is no change in the INF DriverVer section. Past 12, the DriverVer section is modified when building! And that was the reason this conflict occurred. Becoz UTC time zone is followed.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:52 PM
  • What happens when Use Local Time option is set? How does this take care of this change?

Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:04 PM