none
Linking excel charts to word in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a chart in a Word document that links to an Excel file.  I accomplish this by copying a chart in Excel, and using paste special (Microsoft Excel Chart Object w/ link) to create the chart in Word.  This works fine initially.<o:p></o:p>

Two issues:<o:p></o:p>

1) Even after checking Prepare->Edit Links to File and verifying that it is set to Automatic updates, the files does not change without manually updating the links.  Why? Additionally, when the charts do update, they tend to revert to the original size of the chart in excel instead of the size that I have in my word doc. I have tried the other paste special formats and they are either less responsive or cause format issues when updating.<o:p></o:p>

2) If I email both files, or save to a shared folder, the links are not maintained. I initially am able to solve this by using prepare->edit links to files->change source. However, this does cause bugs within the word doc, especially when attempting to update the charts in excel. Also, I have found that when opening the doc. on another computer via the shared folder, that charts again do not update automatically or even respond to manually updating the links. I found that when I click between update automatically and manually update, that the charts do change but this seems to be an inefficient solution to the problem and often ends up crashing word/excel before it even updates the graphs.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:58 PM