none
Expression Web 4 has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody.

Today I downloaded Expression Studio 4 Ultimate from MSDN and I installed it to my pc.

While everything was working (Blend,Encoder,Design) Web is not working it's showing it's splash screen and then pouf... A message appears telling me that Expression Web 4 has stopped working. Any Ideas?

System

Intel Q6600 @ 2,66ghz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:33 PM

Answers

• We have tracked this down to an interaction between Kapersky and our new extensibility functionality.  We now support writing add-ins in JScript and we ship two add-ins with Expression Web 4 to show off that functionality -- the Insert Symbol and the Mark of the Web add-ins.  When you launch Expression Web, we're trying to load those add-ins and Kapersky is getting in the way.  This isn't the first time that Kapersky has had this problem.

If you re-register JScript.dll, that solves the problem but it also opens a small hole in Kapersky's protection.  To try this, you would follow the directions at the bottom of this post.  We don't yet recommend this approach, though, at least not until we've talked to the Kapersky team.

Another alternative is to move or delete the two add-ins we ship with.  You'll find them in the en\Extensions directory in the main Expression Web installation directory.  Neither of these is necessary for the app to run and removing them may, at least temporarily, solve the problem.

To re-register JScript.dll:

1.  Close Expression Web and open a command prompt as Administrator.

2.  Type regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\jscript.dll (for 64-bit machines, which seem to be the major problem) or regsvr32 %windir%\system32\jscript.dll (for 32-bit machines).

3.  Relaunch Expression Web.

Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Yeap. Your method works perfect, but as I mentioned above I'm not a regual EW user I just want whatever I have installed in my PC to work :).

Another workaround:

Every time, when to start EW4 go to Kaspersky-   Settings/panel /additional section uncheck "block dangerous scripts in Microsoft Internet Explorer".  Once EW4 opens, right away   go back to Settings/panel /additional section check "block dangerous scripts in Microsoft Internet Explorer". Now you have EW4 and Kaspersky as intact.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:02 AM

All replies

• Join the club. Read other threads. Do you have Kaspersky antivirus software running?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:41 PM
  • I just joined... Yes I do.

I tried to make an exclusion and move it from Low-Restricted to trusted but nothing happens.

When I paused Kaspersky it worked perfect.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Bug Kaspersky for an update.
    Consider using something else in the meantime.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:21:05 +0000, Dimitris Mpatsougiannis wrote:

>
    >
    >I just joined... Yes I do.
    >
    >I tried to make an exclusion and move it from Low-Restricted to trusted but nothing happens.
    >
    >When I paused Kaspersky it worked perfect.
    >
    >
    >
    >Any suggestions?

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:43 PM
  • I don't think that this works for me.

Don't you have an alternative method?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Dimitris,

I tried making EW4 trusted in Kapersky and agree that it does not work. If you follow my workaround in another thread then you do not have to disable Kapersky, just that plugin I identified. Bug Kapersky for an ASAP fix sounds like your/our best option, and if MS leans on them a bit it should accelerate things

Chris
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Dear webspun ,

Thanks for your reply but I have question with the term "Bug Kapersky" what do you exactly mean?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:27 AM
  • re - "Thanks for your reply but I have question with the term "Bug Kapersky" what do you exactly mean?"

I was quoting from above (only I made a typo): Bug Kaspersky for an update.

In other words, send your crash log to Kaspersky support.

Chris
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:36 AM
  • How is this done and even if I send my crash log what will happen?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:40 AM
  • You could probably find their contact info on their website and submit your report about their screwing legitimate software. And they will probably issue a fix for this.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:49 AM
  • I sent this, now we just have to wait.

Hello,
    I'm sending to you this mail in order to about a problem I'm facing with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and Expression Web 4.
    Today I installed Expression Studio 4 which is containing Expression Web 4.
    When I'm trying to launch it I'm getting an error from Windows 7
    Expression Web 4 has stopped working.
    After pausing Kaspersky's protection, program launches perfect without any error, I think it's something like a conflict.
    I moved Expression Web 4 from low restricted to trusted but the problems remains.
    Do you think you are able to make a fix/update for this because many people will have the same problem.

Best Regards

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Well would this be an option -- dump Kaspersky entirely.

Install Microsoft's FREE Microsoft Security Essentials. I was using Trend Micro, which I now no longer use (or pay for). I now use the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. All free.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Your post is more in an adverstising style thank helping me solcing my problem.

And when KIS 2010 expires I'll maybe unistall it, for now I'm waiting an email from them :)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:09 PM
  • We have tracked this down to an interaction between Kapersky and our new extensibility functionality.  We now support writing add-ins in JScript and we ship two add-ins with Expression Web 4 to show off that functionality -- the Insert Symbol and the Mark of the Web add-ins.  When you launch Expression Web, we're trying to load those add-ins and Kapersky is getting in the way.  This isn't the first time that Kapersky has had this problem.

If you re-register JScript.dll, that solves the problem but it also opens a small hole in Kapersky's protection.  To try this, you would follow the directions at the bottom of this post.  We don't yet recommend this approach, though, at least not until we've talked to the Kapersky team.

Another alternative is to move or delete the two add-ins we ship with.  You'll find them in the en\Extensions directory in the main Expression Web installation directory.  Neither of these is necessary for the app to run and removing them may, at least temporarily, solve the problem.

To re-register JScript.dll:

1.  Close Expression Web and open a command prompt as Administrator.

2.  Type regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\jscript.dll (for 64-bit machines, which seem to be the major problem) or regsvr32 %windir%\system32\jscript.dll (for 32-bit machines).

3.  Relaunch Expression Web.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:40 PM
  • regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\jscript.dll

What will this command exactly do?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:18 PM
  • It will reset javascript support.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Ohhh for now I will leave as it is. I'm not using EW4 but I want to know what I must do when the time comes.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:52 PM
  • What will this command exactly do?

Kapersky has inserted itself into the various scripting DLLs so that it can monitor all scripting activity on your system, potentially blocking anything it considers to be harmful.  Re-registering the original system scripting DLL removes the Kapersky intrusion.  For now, the safest thing to do is the other alternative I mentioned in that post (copied below).  All of this is temporary until we've had a chance to work with Kapersky on a better solution.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Yeap. Your method works perfect, but as I mentioned above I'm not a regual EW user I just want whatever I have installed in my PC to work :).

But I will remember your method and I will wait a response email from Kaspersky

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Another alternative is to move or delete the two add-ins we ship with.  You'll find them in the en\Extensions directory in the main Expression Web installation directory.  Neither of these is necessary for the app to run and removing them may, at least temporarily, solve the problem.

Paul, I can confirm that this workaround has got EW4 running with Kapersky fully enabled. I'm looking forward to the full fix.

Chris Hewitt
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:56 PM

Another workaround:

Every time, when to start EW4 go to Kaspersky-   Settings/panel /additional section uncheck "block dangerous scripts in Microsoft Internet Explorer".  Once EW4 opens, right away   go back to Settings/panel /additional section check "block dangerous scripts in Microsoft Internet Explorer". Now you have EW4 and Kaspersky as intact.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Your method works too :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:03 AM
  • i j have tried this way , and unstead kapersky's, j have F-SECURE protection and EW4 works correctly and fast.

thanks à lot

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:00 AM
  • sorry but after half an hour ew4 des'nt work anymore

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Hey guys, if you do not use Kaspersky then try this -
    In your program files under Microsoft Expression/Web/en/Extensions if you remove those two folders your program will start right up!
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Have you noticed the date on the last post in this thread? Is there some reason you are reopening a bunch of old threads to post the same reply?
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Thanks, That worked.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Do you mean that removing 2 legitimate folders from EW rather than fixing the bad Kaspersky program is what you think is a solution?

It's not! The problem isn't EW, it's Kaspersky.

The solution--the ONLY proper solution--is to fix Kaspersky. What you've done is let a badly written program dictate what you can and cannot do with your computer. That makes no sense.

And, for what it's worth, reviews of Kaspersky in the computer press have pointed out that it interferes with numerous programs in this manner. Should peple disable/hobble ALL programs that Kaspersky interferes with improperly?

Update Kaspersky and get it fixed properly.

It's not the heat; it's the stupidity.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. I couldn't get Expression Web 4 to open. I deleted the two add-ins and the program started working. I had asked a question to find help in a separate thread. Would it be ok if I posted your answer from here to that separate thread? Thanks so much for your help.

Regina Hill
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Gina, if you are talking about the temporary workaround suggested until Kaspersky got its problem fixed, then NO, please do not. Removing those add-ins (which had absolutely nothing wrong with them) was a stopgap measure taken until Kaspersky got their act together and released a new, corrected version, which they have since done. Do not replicate that now inappropriate solution to yet another thread. (See the post by Bill, immediately preceding yours.)

At the risk of hurting your feelings again, there is a very thorough section dedicated to this Kaspersky issue in the Forum FAQ and Guidelines - Start Here. For your sake and ours, will you PLEASE read that post before continuing to post to this forum?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Paul,

Thanks...I was having this same problem and I have Kapersky...your solution solved my problem...again thanks!

Derek

Derek Cosby Virginia
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Sigh.

drcoz:  There is a reason not to respond to old threads.  In this case, you are talking to Paul, who is no longer on MS's EW team, and you are taking OLD advice, a stopgap measure until Kapersky fixed their program.  Apparently, you did not read the whole thread, where this has already been discussed.

Read the "FAQ ... Start Here" post before posting to the forum, please.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:16 PM
  • What the hell, if they're determined to act like idiots, let 'em take the consequences. This grows exceedingly tiresome...

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I had this hell for a few days. I used every trick: restore, reinstall, etc. nothing worked, until I had the idea to right click the Expression Web 4 Icon and run as administrator. It worked, and has been working ever since. Try it out it may also work for you!
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:39 PM