Problem with creating HealthVault account. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to cteate a free HealthVault account from http://www.healthvault.com/personal/index.html by using my Windows Live ID but get the follwing error:

There was a problem creating your HealthVault account. Please review the following issues:
    Your request did not include a required identity code.
    Please contact your provider with this information and ask the provider to send you a new request with a valid code.

I have also tryed to creat a HealthVault account by using OpnID account but I got the same error

Can you please advise what I'm doing wrong or how this problem can be resolved?
    Thank you,
    Raguv

Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Raguv,

It is not only the country being US at the registration will enable the access to HealthVault, rather it seems that the IP, somehow, is being tracked back as you create your account. Does it make sense?

HealthVault was licensed in some countries through other providers for instance, in Canada through Telus (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/healthvault/docs/HealthSpacePR.doc) and in Germany through Siemens (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/jan10/01-28MSSiemensHVPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases).

HealthVault deals with critical patient's information and as different countries may have different policies when it comes to patients' privacy, it will not be easy to find a single policy that is applicable to all.

The Development environment PPE however, is supposed to be accessable for all developers globally, as this is not a production solution.

Regards
    Mustafa
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Raguv--

HealthVault.com actually does explain that it is US-only, and the help documents and FAQ both address that question.

I'm not sure what you mean by "why then is it available globally"... if you mean why is the website available globally, that is because the internet is a global network.  Additionally, US users can access their accounts when they are travelling outside of the US.  Account creation is the step which is restricted, as laws vary from country to country and it would typically be illegal in many countries to have HealthVault cross international boundaries in the way you're considering.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Raguv,

Can you please confirm from which location you are creating HealthVault account?

Because the HealthVault is currently limited to the US, the liveID you use needs to have the region set to the US. You can do that by going to:https://account.live.com and looked at your Country/Region. If it isn't set to US, click on "Registered Information", and set your country/region to "United States".

Can you please try again now. Please let me know if you have any issues.

-Mahesh
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi Mahesh
    I've got the same problem. I set the Country/Region setting to US, but I still get the same error message. I've waited for about 10 minutes and logged off and back on with my Live ID Account.
    Do you have any other tips?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,

I have changed Country as you suggested but it did not help. I have asked my friend in US to create account for me using my Live ID and it worked. I'm not US resident and I'm wondering does it mean that I'm not allowed to use HealthVault ? If so, why then it is available globally and why it is not mentioned in HealthVault site that only US resident can create accounts?
    Thanks
    Raguv

Friday, February 19, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Hi Raguv,

It is not only the country being US at the registration will enable the access to HealthVault, rather it seems that the IP, somehow, is being tracked back as you create your account. Does it make sense?

HealthVault was licensed in some countries through other providers for instance, in Canada through Telus (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/healthvault/docs/HealthSpacePR.doc) and in Germany through Siemens (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/jan10/01-28MSSiemensHVPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases).

HealthVault deals with critical patient's information and as different countries may have different policies when it comes to patients' privacy, it will not be easy to find a single policy that is applicable to all.

The Development environment PPE however, is supposed to be accessable for all developers globally, as this is not a production solution.

Regards
    Mustafa
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Raguv--

HealthVault.com actually does explain that it is US-only, and the help documents and FAQ both address that question.

I'm not sure what you mean by "why then is it available globally"... if you mean why is the website available globally, that is because the internet is a global network.  Additionally, US users can access their accounts when they are travelling outside of the US.  Account creation is the step which is restricted, as laws vary from country to country and it would typically be illegal in many countries to have HealthVault cross international boundaries in the way you're considering.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Raguv--

Maybe you can indicate where this is clearly stated. I should be stated either clearly at the main page, during sign up in the Help information or at the very least in the error message generated after attempting the sign up.

The error "Your request did not include a required identity code." doesn't tell me a thing.

I checked the main page, and the Help before searching on this error. this is really lazy programming on the part of the developers. If you can check for the source IP during the sign up to verify that a user is not in the US, surely you can display a meaningful error message indicating the this service is only available for US citizens. I finally found where this information is buried in the Help in the "Your HealthVault Account" which is not the first place one would look when the account is not yet created.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Apologies for any confusion-- I think we may be crossing our wires here a bit.  Your feedback is very well taken that we should do an even better job of clarifying the error messages so that non-US users don't get stuck without knowing what is going on, and that we can do a better job of communicating that status prior to account creation. 

I agree with you that it could be (and should be) more clearly stated, and that the error message is not helpful.  I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "lazy programming", but that's certainly a subjective assessment and open to personal opinion and interpretation.

Either way, we agree that this should be done better.  Mustafa and I were trying to help explain what the behavior was, why, and what the restrictions are, we weren't trying to say your concerns were not valid.

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Also-- to help indicate where this is stated, since you asked and I neglected to include any links in my last post-- let me quick add some info there.  Under "help", the third topic on the left is "Your HealthVault Account", which has a set of Q/A on the right.  The second question/answer is:

I’m outside the U.S. Can I create a HealthVault account?

HealthVault accounts are not available outside the United States, except in the case of special relationships. If a hospital or clinic outside the U.S. has referred you to HealthVault, please contact them for an identity code and link that will allow you to use HealthVault. We are looking forward to expanding our offerings to more countries in the future.

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Also-- to help indicate where this is stated, since you asked and I neglected to include any links in my last post-- let me quick add some info there.  Under "help", the third wmv topic on the left is "Your HealthVault Account", which has a set of Q/A on the right.  The second question/answer is:

I’m outside the U.S. Can I create a HealthVault account?

HealthVault accounts are not available outside the United States, except in the case of special relationships. If a hospital or clinic outside the U.S. has referred you to HealthVault, please contact them for an identity code and link that will allow you to use HealthVault. We are looking forward to expanding our offerings to more countries in the future.

Thanks for the info. It's very important to me. I'll try to solve my problem with it.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Mustafa

Is the development environment accessable globally?

I have created a hotmail.com email with location US but am accessing it from the UK. When I try to set up a HealthVault-ppe account I am denied access because of location.

Any suggestions how I can run the HelloWorld example?

Regards

Elizabeth

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Hi Elizabeth,

HealthVault development environment is not limited to U.S. and it is globally accessible. Please make sure that you tried to access https://account.healthvault-ppe.com for the same. Also, you can mention the correct location while creating your live account.

Thank you,

Anish Ravindran
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Hi Anish

I have been trying to access https://account.healthvault-ppe.com. And I have checked the location on my LiveID and it is set to country/region US.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Elizabeth

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Hi Elizabeth,

I wil investigate on this issue, can you please give me the complete error message you are getting?

Thank you,

Anish Ravindran
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:24 PM