Freezing issues when move mouse to left edge of screen

Question

• When in Metro "desktop", the computer often freezes for 30s. Media continues to play while computer is frozen. Keyboard and mouse is unresponsive. Led lights such as Num lock will not engage while computer is frozen. Possibly a USB 3 issue?

Steps to reproduce: Start computer. Wait.

When in classical desktop mode, the computer freezes whenever I move the mouse to the left edge of the screen. Same as above, about 30 seconds. If media is playing, it will continue to play. Mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. Numlock, caps lock etc are not working while frozen. I would hazard a guess this is a USB 3 issue.

Also, when the computer goes into sleep (idle for 30 minutes or so), the keyboard lights will dim and flicker steadily. If I try to wake the computer up, hard disks will spin up and such, but the screen will remain blank and the keyboard and mouse will continue to remain unchanged, dimmed, flickering lights.

Is there a better forum to post these issues?

There is nothing interesting posted to the Event Viewer during the freezes, so I currently have no diagnostic info to go on.

Main question: How do I properly diagnose these issues? If it is indeed a USB 3 issue, I need to know if it's a problem with the Windows USB stack in order to file a bug, or if it's a driver problem, contact the vendor.

Relevant:

Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev 3.

I had to install the USB controller driver for the motherboard as Windows would not detect it on its own. So I installed Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver 2.0.4.0 from Asus web site.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hey Jessie Tremble - Modul-System,

Since Microsoft Security Essentials does not list Windows Developer Preview as one of its supported operating systems, and Windows Defender is included in Windows Developer Preview for real-time protection, let's try uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials to see if that affects the problem you have been experiencing.

To uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials:

• Open the Start screen
    • Type Uninstall
    • Click Settings on the right column
    • Click Uninstall a program
    • Select Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Click Uninstall

Once the uninstall process has finished restart your computer. When your computer has finished restarting, check the Action Center to ensure that Windows Defender is turned back on so that you have real-time anti-virus protection. Then test to see if the problem still occurs.

Steven
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:24 AM

All replies

• Try to capture a complete memory dump when the PC hangs, compres this dump and upload it so that the MS developers can look at the dump:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969028

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Whenever there is a situation when WDP freezes, I use the Task manager to close down some of the applications using a good part of my memory, in most cases this helps. Please remember that WDP is getting better by the day, most applications that weren't responding well initially have started doing so now. I think we should read more about it on the various forums, its mostly our own lack of information that's the culprit than the flaws in WDP itself.
    Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:44 PM to complete the reply.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Try to capture a complete memory dump when the PC hangs, compres this dump and upload it so that the MS developers can look at the dump:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969028

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thanks for the replies!

The problem is that user-input is non-responsive during these freezes, so I have no way to manually trigger a dump, i.e. via Ctrl+Scroll Lock. All UI freezes as well, so I can't see any anomalies during the freeze (i.e. Task Manager, Trace viewers etc).

I'll see if I can dig up a PS/2 keyboard, but my guess is that the entire OS is going to be so unresponsive during the freeze, that it won't matter which keys I bash or what they're connected to :-)

I can't even disable USB and use PS/2 to see if the problem goes away (and thereby pin it in USB), since I only have a single PS/2 port and can't connect both a mouse and keyboard at the same time. No keyboard = no login. No mouse = no way to move the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen. Tricky.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hey Jessie,

You may want to try installing any available drivers and/or BIOS updates from Asus or the provider of your specific pieces of hardware being used by this computer.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:51 AM
  • I have the latest drivers and firmware all around.

The problem persists and is reproducible on at least three separate computers with very different hardware configurations.

It is also evident on my PDC09 laptop. The only device where I'm not seeing this issue is the Samsung BuildWindows tablet PC.

I have narrowed down the steps to reproduce further:

a) Use Metro applications.

..or

b) Open a metro application such as IE10. Switch to "traditional" desktop and move mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen. Boom!

This may very well have nothing to do with the USB ...

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hey Jessie Tremble,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on any of the machines I've tried. You may want to test if any of the machines that reproduce this problem share any third party software. Another possibility is if any of the machines are using the same hardware.

If neither of those avenues provide further details regarding this problem, the next step will be to submit this as feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hey Jessie Tremble,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on any of the machines I've tried. You may want to test if any of the machines that reproduce this problem share any third party software. Another possibility is if any of the machines are using the same hardware.

If neither of those avenues provide further details regarding this problem, the next step will be to submit this as feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven

Thanks!

PS: Others are experiencing the exact same issue:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/fa9105d7-ca6a-4488-a86c-1dba846be7de

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:07 AM
  • This sounds like something I used to experience on my Windows Vista PC. The cause was different, but the effect was the same and was video-related. What have you tried with the video drivers on your computer? It is possible that reverting to an older driver might fix the problem. Depending on how your computers are configured, you may also want to try using generic drivers. Your PC's might not get the same power management and video performance as they do when using drivers specifically created for your computer's grpahics adapter, but the freezing problem might go away. You also might want to check the specs on your computer's graphics hardware. The Developer Preview had no problems on an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated graphics chip, but if you are using a once high-end card that is slightly older, it may cause problems. I have no idea how old a PDC09 laptop is - what graphics chipset does it have? Depending on your computer, you might be able to go into the BIOS and run a hardware diagnostic - it is possible that this problem has nothing to do with that software and that there is a hardware problem with your comptuers. As Steven said, a BIOS update might also help. If you are using non-standard settings in the BIOS, you might want to try to reset them to their defaults, or change as many settings to standard ones as you can if you can't load defaults for your BIOS.

When your computer freezes, does all animation continue to play (ex. can you still watch a movie that is playing or see a loading bar) or does your entire computer freeze? You stated above that media continues to play during the system freeze, but does that apply to video or just music? If you cannot test this with video, does the player's "seek" bar continue to move during the freeze? If so, it probably is a USB issue. You could try plugging in a PS/2 peripheral, as you suggested. Does your PC have USB 2.0 ports? You might also want to try a different driver, possibly the one from the CD or an older version. It's not impossible for an older driver to work better than a newer one.

This doesn't sound like a USB problem to me. Metro-style apps are probably fairly graphics-intensive, especially if you're using the Weather app. You might try to see if anything else can cause this problem. Does it happen if you play a movie? You could try running 3DMark Basic on one the PC's and see if that triggers the crash. If so, it's probably a graphics problem.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:07 PM
  • This sounds like something I used to experience on my Windows Vista PC. The cause was different, but the effect was the same and was video-related. What have you tried with the video drivers on your computer? It is possible that reverting to an older driver might fix the problem. Depending on how your computers are configured, you may also want to try using generic drivers. Your PC's might not get the same power management and video performance as they do when using drivers specifically created for your computer's grpahics adapter, but the freezing problem might go away. You also might want to check the specs on your computer's graphics hardware. The Developer Preview had no problems on an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated graphics chip, but if you are using a once high-end card that is slightly older, it may cause problems. I have no idea how old a PDC09 laptop is - what graphics chipset does it have? Depending on your computer, you might be able to go into the BIOS and run a hardware diagnostic - it is possible that this problem has nothing to do with that software and that there is a hardware problem with your comptuers. As Steven said, a BIOS update might also help. If you are using non-standard settings in the BIOS, you might want to try to reset them to their defaults, or change as many settings to standard ones as you can if you can't load defaults for your BIOS.

When your computer freezes, does all animation continue to play (ex. can you still watch a movie that is playing or see a loading bar) or does your entire computer freeze? You stated above that media continues to play during the system freeze, but does that apply to video or just music? If you cannot test this with video, does the player's "seek" bar continue to move during the freeze? If so, it probably is a USB issue. You could try plugging in a PS/2 peripheral, as you suggested. Does your PC have USB 2.0 ports? You might also want to try a different driver, possibly the one from the CD or an older version. It's not impossible for an older driver to work better than a newer one.

This doesn't sound like a USB problem to me. Metro-style apps are probably fairly graphics-intensive, especially if you're using the Weather app. You might try to see if anything else can cause this problem. Does it happen if you play a movie? You could try running 3DMark Basic on one the PC's and see if that triggers the crash. If so, it's probably a graphics problem.

Thank you for the reply!

The screen freezes completely, but sound may continue to play.

Generally, when moving the mouse to the left side of the screen, a preview of "next window" will be shown. This is when the computer freezes.

I am using an nVida GeForce GTX 560 Ti, so not so old.

The PDC laptop uses Intel integrated graphics, if I'm not mistaken.

Logic therefore dictates that it's not the graphics driver.

I have tried several different versions of drivers.

The only software they all have in common is as follows:

Windows 8.

Visual Studio 11 Ultimate.

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Cheers.

Friday, December 2, 2011 3:04 PM

Since Microsoft Security Essentials does not list Windows Developer Preview as one of its supported operating systems, and Windows Defender is included in Windows Developer Preview for real-time protection, let's try uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials to see if that affects the problem you have been experiencing.

To uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials:

• Open the Start screen
    • Type Uninstall
    • Click Settings on the right column
    • Click Uninstall a program
    • Select Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Click Uninstall

Once the uninstall process has finished restart your computer. When your computer has finished restarting, check the Action Center to ensure that Windows Defender is turned back on so that you have real-time anti-virus protection. Then test to see if the problem still occurs.

Steven
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:24 AM

Steven

Hi!

I'll try this and post back!

PS: If I'm not mistaken, Windows Defender is not an anti-virus. I believe it merely protects against spyware and pop-ups, or have I misunderstood?
    Not to be overly pedantic, but if that is the case, then your statement about real-time protection may be misconstrued as Windows Defender being sufficient on its own. :-)

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hey Jessie,

This is true in previous versions of Windows. Take a look at the information below for details of improvements to Windows Defender in Windows Developer Preview.
    "Windows Defender

If you don’t have another solution installed, Windows 8 will provide you protection with a significantly improved version of Windows Defender.

Improved protection for all types of malware. The improvements to Windows Defender will help protect you from all types of malware, including viruses, worms, bots and rootkits by using the complete set of malware signatures from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, which Windows Update will deliver regularly along with the latest Microsoft antimalware engine. This expanded set of signatures is a significant improvement over previous versions, which only included signatures for spyware, adware, and potentially unwanted software."

Additional information can be found by following the link below:
    Building Windows 8 - Protecting you from malware

Steven
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft Security Essentials is not likely to be the problem, as I am experiencing the exact same issue on a fresh install without MSE.
    I consider it to be more likely that this issue has something to do with the new task switching feature.
    (If you move your mouse to the left edge of the screen, you get a list of the currently open apps in thumbnail form, from which you can select the application you want to switch to).
    Generating the thumbnails might be what's causing the freezing issues.

I don't know if there is a way to disable the switcher, but doing so may fix your problem.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Hey Hanwrath,

You may want to try changing to Adjust for best performance in the Visual Effects of the Advanced System Options. These steps won't fully disable the thumbnail that is displayed on the left side of the screen, but may help to avoid this problem.

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Advanced System Settings
    • Click Settings the in right column
    • Click View advanced system settings
    • Under the Performance heading, click Settings...
    • Click the Adjust for best performance radio button
    • Click OK
    • Click OK
    • Restart your computer

Then test to see if the same problem occurs when you move your mouse to the left side of the screen.

Steven
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:18 AM