none
Installation .Net 3.5 SP1 beta causes ASP.NET to hang on concurrent operations RRS feed

• Question

• I've experienced a problem after installation .Net 3.5 SP1 beta with hanging ASP.NET application on concurrent operations.

Some background: on server, while normal request processing we are starting several threads (using normal Thread.Start(...)) for some parallel execution. Wait in main thread until they finished and proceed with further request execution.

Using basic .Net 3.5 it was working 100% fine regardless environment (XP, Server 2003, Vista). After installation .Net 3.5 SP1 beta the process started to hang on different points of execution in almost 100% of cases, but always only while concurrent processing. When hanged, w3wp takes 100% of executing CPU and I cannot pause it for debugging to get place where it hanged.

I'm quite sure the code being executed is thread-safe.

When I deinstalled SP1 beta and reinstalled normal .Net 3.5 the application started to work properly again.

Any ideas what can cause such behaviour? Any help is welcomed.

I need to use this SP1 beta as we are basing some development on DynamicData 0512. Facing such problem blocks us from using it. Sad

Thanks in advance, folks...

Dmitry

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:33 AM

All replies

• After spending few days to find a solution, I eventually discovered that the problem is related to .Net 2.0 SP2 beta installed together with .Net 3.5 SP1 beta. Only after uninstalling all these beta-service packs, the application started to work normally.

I've also found that it's not obviously related to concurrent execution. The hanging is seemed to happen even before parallel point.

I have no explanation so far about the reason of the problem but looking forward to do not see it in SP1 release. 

Anyway, If I find anything in our code that caused this - I'll post it here. Logicallty thinkning, when nobody else faces this problem, it should be really related to our development. Although how to explain stabilizing after beta-SPs uninstallation?..

br,
    Dmitry

P.S. However I've faced really, really serious problems to remove the .Net 2.0 SP2 beta from Vista! As it is the part of operating system, there were no other possibility for me rather than "upgrade" Vista to Vista to keep all programs installed. In sum there were 2 days for trying to restore original .Net 2.0 and then ~10 hours to repair via "upgrade".
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:07 AM