Ordering backlog items is disabled, because this iteration contains nested backlog items RRS feed

• Question

• How do I find out which items are causing this, the link provided is useless as it just describes Scrum/Kanban etc.?

Regards

Paul

Paul

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:44 PM

Answers

• Kevin/Sunil

I was just looking at a future iteration that just had a small number of items assigned to it that displayed the message.

What I found was a bug that was a child of a requirement - when I changed the link from Parent:Child to Related, the nested backlog items message went away.

I'll change the links to get this working, but I'd suggest that we need a feature change here in that it should not worry about Requirement -> Bug Parent:Child links in determining a nested work item, since it appears to me a valid way of recording a problem

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul Hatcher Saturday, June 13, 2015 2:51 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul Hatcher,
    Reorder of backlog items can be done by draging and dropping of desired items.
    Please can you elaborate more on "Ordering backlog items is disabled" Means. So that it will help us to answer your question.

Thanks,
    Sunil.HP

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:55 AM
  • Apologies for jumping in on your thread, Paul, but this has been driving me nuts too.

Sunil, please see attached screenshot - note the message at the top of the sprint contents, with an (utterly useless) help link.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Sunil

Any chance of a response on this?

Paul

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 12:32 PM
  • Hi,
    Sorry for delay in response.
    Please try deleting the nested backlog items and confirm weather you are able to order the backlogs.

Thanks,
    Sunil.HP

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

Could you please explain what a nested backlog item is? 

I realise that might sound like a question with an obvious answer, but I don't have any backlog items inside backlog items (which is what I'd assume "nested backlog items" means). I do have backlog items in features, and I have tasks inside backlog items - neither of which I want to delete for obvious reasons! - and which presumably shouldn't stop me ordering the PBI's?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:20 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Yes you are correct about Nested backlog items. However we are unable to reproduce the issue. I will check with my other engineers in here and will try to provide more insight about on this.

Regards,
    Sunil.HP

Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Sunil

As Kevin says, the issue is knowing what a "nested backlog item" is; if the tool is intelligent enough to complain about the existence of nested items, the link should actually point to them  so we can fix them.

My guess is that people are using the Copy Work Item functionality to clone stuff which also copies the links and thus inadvertently creating cyclic dependencies hence this message.

Fixing this without tool support is nigh on impossible as I have >50 items in the current iteration and the error message is not specific enough about what needs fixing.

Paul

Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Kevin/Sunil

I was just looking at a future iteration that just had a small number of items assigned to it that displayed the message.

What I found was a bug that was a child of a requirement - when I changed the link from Parent:Child to Related, the nested backlog items message went away.

I'll change the links to get this working, but I'd suggest that we need a feature change here in that it should not worry about Requirement -> Bug Parent:Child links in determining a nested work item, since it appears to me a valid way of recording a problem

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul Hatcher Saturday, June 13, 2015 2:51 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Hi Sunil,

I can't find my "nested backlog items" either.  Is there a way to find them?  I have looked through hundreds of them.

-Marc-

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 12:27 AM
  • Marc

What I did was to define a query called Bug Parents which shows where a Bug has a parent work item, it might help...

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Tin.Nguyen Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:34 AM
  • I was having this same issue and found it to be caused by Tasks who had Tasks as their parents.  I updated Paul's query to look for Tasks with a parent of a Task.  It appears this was caused by people dropping a task on top of another task when they were just trying to update a task status.

I have both Bugs and Issues linked to User Stories child-parent, without causing the error in this thread.

Hope this helps someone,

Jim

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

I have removed all Parent-Child Links inside Work Item Types inside my TaskBoard (User Stories, Tasks, Issues, Bugs).

The reordering is still blocked!!

Well we have many Bugs (> 1000!) which are below a User Story - do we have to set them as related?

This is a part of our process and has its reasons.

PLEASE TFS-Develovers:

Show the items that are blocking (you already have them!) or find a way to remove this restriction!!!!

Thank you!

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:39 AM
  • I completely agree with the frustration vented (very eloquently) on this page.

Why is re-ordering blocked with an error message that can't be resolved and a help link that doesn't help?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:08 AM
  • What can I say... It is still happening
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:28 AM
  • We updated to TFS 2015 Update 2 and we are able to sort items on the task board.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:26 AM
  • I have burned a day, manually going thru the backlog looking for the relationships listed above and changing version is not an option. 

Any other suggestions or any ECD on when this will be fixed?

Monday, October 3, 2016 7:56 PM