Using Virtual PC to Run Windows Server 2003 v RRS feed

• Question

• Basically I need to run an actual instance of Windows Server only so I can look in the help section referenced by a Microsoft article about securing FTP "Folder Data" and Eventually setting up an ISS Service to make Future Sent Data Secure.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/7b4bdad5-9a0a-4bf6-8b00-41084b783e20.mspx?mfr=true

I am having to do an emergency Dump of my hard drive Because I believe my life to be in Danger from Criminals I reported and I cannot let my research become lost forever.

anywhoooo

I set up the Virtual machine but when I try and Run it with "Virtual PC Console" I get the following error

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

1. Why is it asking that ^(above in quotes)^ or how do I remedy that is there some error in making the Virtual Machine the process seemed fairly simple.

2. Can someone Just sent me the info on how to add password protection or encryption to the files after I finish the Upload to the FTP site for my website and also some info on writing permanent future ISS Protocol for
    ---"setting up a private network over the Internet using Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) or
    ---how to set up secure IP communications with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and IPSec"

Instructions to get the infor say ---see "PPTP", "VPN", and "IPSec" in Help and Support ---
    Center for Windows Server 2003."

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Looks like you are in the wrong forum. This forum is for security in SQL Server, and I can't see anything relating to SQL Server in your post.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Windows Server / SQL server what is the difference? Also it is definatly a security question.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Windows Server is an operating system.

SQL Server is a relational database management system.

Virtual PC is an old product to run virtual machines.

Judging from your question you are best served asking in a forum devoted to Virtual PC, if there is one else one about virtualisation in general. This forum is not likely to be a good place - your chances to a useful answer is much smaller.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:02 PM
  • My Question is Actually Primarily about "FTP" "Security" and "ISS Services" Can you you redirect me?
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Unfortunately, I only know that this is not the place for you to get help.

You find a list of available forums on
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

There is an overlap between MSDN and Technet forums, but whether the overlap applies to all forums. It sounds like your question may be more a Technet thing. (Technet is for admin things, while MSDN is developer. I believe.)

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Monday, July 30, 2012 7:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Friday, August 3, 2012 1:25 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:17 PM