Missing TfsReportDS and TfsOlapReportDS RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago I noticed that the Reports folder in Team Explorer had a red x in the lower right hand corner and would not expand to show reports.  Since I was not really using them yet I just ignored this error.  Today I tried to create a new project and received this error.

Error
    TF30004: The New Team Project Wizard encountered an unexpected error while initializing the Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Reporting plug-in.
    Explanation
    TF30171: The Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Reporting plug-in used to create the new team project could not be initialized and returned the following error: TF30222: The New Team Project Wizard could not find the data source TfsOlapReportDS on the SQL Server Reporting Services server kpwavsts. Contact the administrator for the server and confirm that your user account has Content Manager permission to create reports. If the problem persists, contact your Team Foundation Server administrator and ask that Team Foundation Server be repaired..
    User Action
    Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator.

I looked in the log and found the following

2006-05-15 13:20:21Z | Module: Internal | Team Foundation Server proxy retrieved | Completion time: 1.8905645 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:20:22Z | Module: Internal | The template information for Team Foundation Server "kpwavsts" was retrieved from the Team Foundation Server. | Completion time: 0.7031025 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:20:27Z | Module: Wizard | Retrieved IAuthorizationService proxy | Completion time: 7.7341275 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:20:28Z | Module: Wizard | TF30227: Project creation permissions retrieved | Completion time: 0.1093715 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:21:40Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 16 | New project will be created with the "MSF for CMMI Process Improvement - v4.0" methodology
    2006-05-15 13:21:40Z | Module: Engine | Retrieved IAuthorizationService proxy | Completion time: 0 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:21:40Z | Module: Engine | TF30227: Project creation permissions retrieved | Completion time: 0.031249 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:21:43Z | Module: Engine | Wrote compressed process template file | Completion time: 0 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: Engine | Extracted process template file | Completion time: 43.529857 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 16 | Starting Project Creation for project "WAW 3.0" in domain "kpwavsts"
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: Engine | The user identity information was retrieved from the Group Security Service | Completion time: 0.124996 seconds
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: Initializer | Thread: 16 | The New Team Project Wizard is starting to initialize the plug-ins.
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: CssStructureUploader | Thread: 16 | Entering Initialize in CssStructureUploader
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: CssStructureUploader | Thread: 16 | Initialize for CssStructureUploader complete
    2006-05-15 13:22:26Z | Module: Initializer | Thread: 16 | The New Team Project Wizard successfully Initialized the plug-in Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Classification.
    2006-05-15 13:22:27Z | Module: Rosetta | Thread: 16 | Entering Initialize in RosettaReportUploader
    ---begin Exception entry---
    Time: 2006-05-15 13:22:28Z
    Module: Initializer
    Event Description: TF30207: Initialization for plugin "Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Reporting" failed
    Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
    Exception Message: TF30222: The New Team Project Wizard could not find the data source TfsOlapReportDS
    on the SQL Server Reporting Services server kpwavsts. Contact the administrator for the server
    and confirm that your user account has Content Manager permission to create reports. If the
    problem persists, contact your Team Foundation Server administrator and ask that Team Foundation
    Server be repaired.
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.RosettaReportUploader.CheckForProjectFolder(PrivateData data, String projectName, ProjectCreationContext context)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.RosettaReportUploader.Initialize(ProjectCreationContext context)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.EngineStarter.InitializePlugins(MsfTemplate template, PcwPluginCollection pluginCollection)
    --- end Exception entry ---

2006-05-15 13:22:29Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 16 | Attempting to delete MSF folder "C:\Documents and Settings\jarrett\Local Settings\Temp\TPW_tmp75.tmp"
    2006-05-15 13:22:30Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 16 | The temporary folder C:\Documents and Settings\jarrett\Local Settings\Temp\TPW_tmp75.tmp used to store the process template was removed.

I looked at the report server (http://kpwavsts/reports) and found an empty folder.  Apparently I have somehow lost the TfsOlapReportDS and TfsReportDS data sources.  Is there any way to get them back?

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:18 PM

Answers

•  

It is quite easy to re-create them by following these steps:
    - browse to http://<ApplicationTierName>/reports
    - Click on New DataSource and fill up the information

- For TfsOlapReportDS:
                  - Connection type: Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
                  - Connection String: Data source=DataTierMachineNameGoesHere;initial catalog=TFSWarehouse
                  -  Credentials: Use "Credentials stored in the report server, specify your service account and its password and check the first check box: "Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source"

For TfsReportDS: Everything is the same except the Connection type which should be set to Microsoft SQL Server.

Also ensure that they are named exactly as specified above as these are the names used to reference them in the reports.

Thanks,
    Othmane

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:47 PM

All replies

•  

It is quite easy to re-create them by following these steps:
    - browse to http://<ApplicationTierName>/reports
    - Click on New DataSource and fill up the information

- For TfsOlapReportDS:
                  - Connection type: Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
                  - Connection String: Data source=DataTierMachineNameGoesHere;initial catalog=TFSWarehouse
                  -  Credentials: Use "Credentials stored in the report server, specify your service account and its password and check the first check box: "Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source"

For TfsReportDS: Everything is the same except the Connection type which should be set to Microsoft SQL Server.

Also ensure that they are named exactly as specified above as these are the names used to reference them in the reports.

Thanks,
    Othmane

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:47 PM
  • Thanks.  That has given me the ability to create a new project.  Unfortunately the existing projects still do not have a functioning reports folder but I can live with that.
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:48 PM
  • You could try altering the datasource of the existing reports in the properties tab of each report.

Just browse to the appriopriate data source in the tree view.

Friday, August 4, 2006 7:05 AM
  • Well if i ever get to see the same error or someone else is having still trouble this error could be caused because of the Authentication settings of Reports and ReportServer every setting should be disabled but basic authentication and asp.net impersonation on both, then access reports site with a valid administrator (local more likely) in site settings click on configure site wide security and in new role assignment, enter the domain\user which you create projects and in role check System Administrator and that's it for this particular situation at least worked for me, here is a site that tells how to properly configure a team foundation server administrator

http://blogs.msdn.com/vstsue/articles/422773.aspx

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:21 AM
  • You are a god!

Thanks, I had deleted and recreated the Reporting Services Key, which I believe is when this information was lost.

I knew it had to do with these credentials, but was unable to figure out which combination to use exactly.

I can create TFS Projects again, woohooo!
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:57 PM