Widows 10 - ADO problems RRS feed

• Question

• Latest W10 update stops all ADO macros in Access 2016

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:32 PM

All replies

• What are ADO macros? Can you provide an example of what you are talking about?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Latest W10 update stops all ADO macros in Access 2016

I don't see anyone else reporting that. Did you uninstall the latest updates to verify?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:21 PM
  • I reverted to the previous W10 release - everything now OK.  W10 then did a forced update and the problem reoccurred.   Worst still now refuses to allow a revert to previous release.

Currently all visual basic macros go into an endless loop when executed

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hello Peter,

Could you please share us what KB causes the issue ? Do you update your Office to latest version? Could you reproduce the issue on other computers? Could you share a sample macro here?

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:31 AM
  • I'm on W10 1607 KB 4034658 build 14393.1593 and Access 2016 version 1706 build 8229.2103.   These are the latest versions available to me.

Typical macro (this one has been operational for years) is

RunCode Function name Loadm()

And the function is

Function loadm()
    Dim da As ADODB.Connection
    Dim r As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strSQL
    Dim strPath
    Dim db

Dim dc
    Dim a
    Set dc = CurrentDb()
    Set a = dc.OpenRecordset("Memorandum")
    Dim seq
    Dim seqf
    Dim i
    Dim j

etc

seq = 1
    seqf = 1

i = 1
    Do While i < 101
    If am(i) <> "" Then
      strPath = "C:\Users\PeterMac\My Documents\Bishops Cottage\" & am(i) & ".xls"
      Set da = New ADODB.Connection
      With da
         .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
         .Properties("Extended Properties") = "Excel 8.0; MAXSCANROWS=1; HDR=No; IMEX=1;"
         .Open strPath
      End With

etc

i = i + 1

Loop
    a.Close
    dc.Close
    Set a = Nothing
    Set dc = Nothing
    End Function

When the macro is executed it goes into an endless loop

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Problem is caused by changes that Microsoft has made in KB4034658 to the Microsoft JET Database Engine.  What changes MS has made are not listed but the impact is to stop all my macros from working.

I've de-installed KB4034658 and everything is working OK.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this or explain what I need to do.

• Edited by Peter Macl Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Chenchen Li Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information.

Version 1707 (Build 8326.2073) is the latest in your update channel. Please update to the latest version.

Due to the limitation of community support channel, I suggest you submit a feedback on Access -> File -> Feedback.

Besides, I suggest you mark your post as answer to close this thread.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Version 1707 is not available to me at present so your solution is not acceptable.  The fact is that MS has put some changes into KB4034658 which impact MS Jet Engine and then forced that KB on W10 1607. The result is my macros now don't work unless I remove KB4034658!!!!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hello,

I am in the latest Office version and have the KB4034658 installed but i could not reprodcue your issue. I suggest you uninstall the KB to work around since you could not update to Version 1707. You could also contact Microsoft professional support to troubleshoot this issue.If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 

For creating an incident, I suggest you try below steps.

1. Open
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-my

2. Get More support->Developers

3. Developers->Visual Studio, Microsoft imagine, BizSpark and WebsiteSpark->Microsoft Technical Support

4. Select
    Office Professional Plus 2016

5. Select the third option I use it as an IT Professional, developer or Microsoft partner->Next

6. Create an incident, select Problem type -> Access, Category -> Programming..

7. Start request

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 18, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Today the saga continues. MS decided to update my W10 to version 1707.

The issues persist. However there seems to be a more specific problem in that when I open an Excel file in ADODB the macro only works if that Excel file is open in Excel!  If Excel is not running then the macro goes into an endless loop.

None of this happened on the previous version of Windows.

Friday, August 18, 2017 12:08 PM
  • I don't understand. Whenever you open an excel sheet using VBA you have to create an Excel object and open it whether be it hidden or visible.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, August 21, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hi Perter,

Based on your description, it seems your issue is related with KB and Microsoft JET Database Engine. I suggest you change Provider from Jet to Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB, and you could make a test with below connection string.

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=c:\myFolder\myOldExcelFile.xls;
    Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=YES";

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:19 AM