none
BDC field cannot save on Custom List Form RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a problem with a Sharepoint Business Data Catalog, I have a List which are connected by BDC to a SQL field/table, and with standard sharepoint Forms it all works fine, I can lookup data in BDC and it saves correctly.

However, I need to create a Custom List Form for New Items on this list, and whenever I do this - the BDC works for lookup, but it doesnt save the data in the List when the item is created ?
    (All normal fields save, but the BDC field is just empty on the new Item)

Anyone got any bright ideas? Cause I'm running out.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:03 AM

Answers

• Check this kb article and patch.
    It fixes the BDC in custom list forms issue.

kb973409

Get the hotfix and install over your MOSS with SP2
    works for me.
    • Proposed as answer by DaveLee212 Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:40 PM

All replies

• You need to populate the identifier field and any related fields to save properly.  It's important you use the correct internal field name when accessing the item's field values.  If you don't save the related fields, they won't automagically populate for you.  This is a step done internally by OTB forms, but when you customize a form, your code needs to also do this step.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Bedard Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:12 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:05 PM
  • You need to populate the identifier field and any related fields to save properly.  It's important you use the correct internal field name when accessing the item's field values.  If you don't save the related fields, they won't automagically populate for you.  This is a step done internally by OTB forms, but when you customize a form, your code needs to also do this step.

This has been annoying me too.

Thanks for the explanation Brian. Is there any resource you (or anyone else) knows of where this is explained?
    • Edited by Ravabelli Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Nope learned it the HARD way :) Now that we have BCS, everything BDC will be better :)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Just had a read about BCS, sounds interesting...

I'm having exactly the same problem but I can't understand how to fix it.  Brian, could you explain how you go about populating the identifier and related fields for this to work properly?  I'm using a Custom List Form for entering new items and my fields that looks up against a BDC source doesn't save.  I've not used any code to put this together though, done it all through Sharepoint Designer.

thanks in advance!

Dave

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Check this kb article and patch.
    It fixes the BDC in custom list forms issue.

kb973409

Get the hotfix and install over your MOSS with SP2
    works for me.
    • Proposed as answer by DaveLee212 Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi Carl

Thanks for the tip!  A cumulative update was made available on 27th October so, seeing as it's out of hours here, I've just finished installed those on the servers in our farm.

I've gone back to my previously unworking custom form and it's working perfectly now!

thanks!

DAve
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:08 AM