How do you set your server to shut down and startup RRS feed

• Question

• I want to shut the server down after business hours and the start up in the morning to save costs
    Friday, February 13, 2015 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know, you will be charged even if stop your server, because all the resources are still prepare for you, they still exist, and just waiting for you to restart, unless you delete them, and everytime to redeploy your serve again to let them keep working.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, you will be charged even if stop your server, because all the resources are still prepare for you, they still exist, and just waiting for you to restart, unless you delete them, and everytime to redeploy your serve again to let them keep working.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Can you clarify further what you mean by 'you will be charged even if stop your server'?  Storage costs will continue to accumulate but from what I understand there should be significant savings by shutting down the machines (de-allocate).

We created some workflows in Azure Automation which connects to the subscription and shuts/starts servers based on a schedule.  Since it is called through powershell the servers are deallocated, so from what I understand they wont be billed.

There are a ton of examples of how to do this on the web...

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:23 PM
  • I'm trying to do the same thing and for the same reason.

I have very simple script that will shutdown and power up VMs, but I'm running into issue when trying to use Windows Task Scheduler.

Start-AzureVM -ServiceName "xxxxx" -Name "xxxx"
    Start-AzureVM -ServiceName "xxxx" -Name "xxxx"

Stop-AzureVM -ServiceName "xxxxx" -Name "xxxx"
    Stop-AzureVM -ServiceName "xxxx" -Name "xxxx"

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:25 PM