How to change asp.net code during debugging when code run from VS2013 IDE RRS feed

• Question

• User264732274 posted

so tell me which option i need to turn on as a result i can change code from VS2013 during code debugging. thanks

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:53 PM

Answers

• User-1034726716 posted

I'm not sure if I follow you correctly, but if you want to run a specific code based on the configuration (E.g Debug or Release) then, you could use the #if DEBUG or the Conditional attribute. For example:

#if DEBUG
        Response.Write("Mode=Debug"); 
    #else
        Response.Write("Mode=Release"); 
    #endif

//or

[Conditional("DEBUG")]
    public void YourMethod(){

}

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 3:42 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi sudip_inn,

Is this what you want below?

Quote:

Edit and Continue is a time-saving feature that enables you to make changes to your source code while your program is in break mode. When you resume execution of the program by choosing an execution command like Continue or Step, Edit and Continue automatically applies the code changes with some limitations. This allows you to make changes to your code during a debugging session, instead of having to stop, recompile your entire program, and restart the debugging session.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:05 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

sudip_inn

i am not getting Edit and Continue feature for asp.net while debugging. if possible post screen shot which show what to enable and from where. thanks

To enable/disable Edit and Continue

1. Open debugging options page (Tools / Options / Debugging).

2. Scroll down to Edit and Continue category.

3. To enable, select the Enable Edit and Continue check box. To disable, clear the check box.
    4. Click Ok.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:48 AM

All replies

• User-1034726716 posted

I'm not sure if I follow you correctly, but if you want to run a specific code based on the configuration (E.g Debug or Release) then, you could use the #if DEBUG or the Conditional attribute. For example:

#if DEBUG
        Response.Write("Mode=Debug"); 
    #else
        Response.Write("Mode=Release"); 
    #endif

//or

[Conditional("DEBUG")]
    public void YourMethod(){

}

Monday, June 20, 2016 3:42 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi sudip_inn,

Is this what you want below?

Quote:

Edit and Continue is a time-saving feature that enables you to make changes to your source code while your program is in break mode. When you resume execution of the program by choosing an execution command like Continue or Step, Edit and Continue automatically applies the code changes with some limitations. This allows you to make changes to your code during a debugging session, instead of having to stop, recompile your entire program, and restart the debugging session.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:05 AM
  • User264732274 posted

@Angie: i am not getting Edit and Continue feature for asp.net while debugging. if possible post screen shot which show what to enable and from where. thanks

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:37 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

sudip_inn

i am not getting Edit and Continue feature for asp.net while debugging. if possible post screen shot which show what to enable and from where. thanks

To enable/disable Edit and Continue

1. Open debugging options page (Tools / Options / Debugging).

2. Scroll down to Edit and Continue category.

3. To enable, select the Enable Edit and Continue check box. To disable, clear the check box.
    4. Click Ok.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:48 AM