Silverlight 2 Test Project Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,
    I have blend 2.5 june preview with silverlight 2 installed on my machine Vista home.  I'm using VS2008 for code-behind.  IE 7.0.6.
    Everything was fine until yesterday.  I was creating animations using expression blend, hitting F5 and watching it animate in my IE and having a good time.  Suddenly, this morning, hitting F5 launches IE with a blank page showing "install sliverlight" icon.  Clicking on the icon takes me to silverlight download page which confirms I have the latest silverlight add-in.   Something went koo koo but there are no error messages or logs (AFAIK).  Here is the twist, if I create a simple project, say a blank page with only one button, testing the solution (F5) does not work (I only see the "install silverlight" icon).  However, if I pick one of the demo solutions that comes with blend (for example Grand Piano), it works like charm (F5 does work). 

The questions are, is this blend issue?  IE issue? Anyone else has this issue? Any remedy?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

• I've got the answer here

With Silverlight 2.0 , we need Blend 2 SP1 instead of Blend 2.5 or Blend 2 Preview version
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• That is weird.  I have never had that problem before.  It might suck but should you uninstall and reinstall?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:13 PM
  • It's possible that your account does not have permission to the Silverlight registries.

If you feel comfortable moving around your registry, try these steps:

1. Go to Start > Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Windows
    2. Right-click on regedit.exe and select "Run as administrator"
    3. In regedit, search for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl.1.0
    4. If neither AgControl.AgControl nor AgControl.AgControl.1.0 are expandable and the key value is "(value not set)" instead of "Microsoft Silverlight," right click on the AgControl.AgControl and AgControl.AgControl.1.0 folders separately and select Permissions
    5. Under the group and user names, select each account in turn and make note of which permissions that account is allowed
    6. If you get the error "Cannot edit:  Error reading the value's contents" then you may need assistance with your permissions, which is beyond my assistance

Jonathan - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Thanks everyone and thank you Jonathan.  After spending nearly five years in building 30 as SSDE (UCG), I better feel comfortable moving around the registry :-)  Will try it and will let you know.
    • Edited by phreedom Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:51 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Sorry to say it didn't work.  I decided to  uninstall and reinstall blend but that didn't resolve the issue.  Then I followed Jonathan suggestions.  Both registry keys were there and had "Microsoft Silverlight" as the value.  I looked at the permissions and I explicitly added my login (even though it's part of admin group), with full control, to those keys.  I closed the regedit app.  Then I created a new project in blend, created button, gave a button a name, saved the project, and pressed F5, sadly same result - nothing shows up but the "install silverlight" icon.

I'm open to all suggestions.  In the mean while, I'm going to reinstall (uninstall/install) silverlight add-in to see if that will resolve the issue.  I'm also going to test it with Firefox (as of now I don't know how to make blend use firefox for F5).
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Oh
    I have a similar issue
    Please giude me !
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:24 PM
  • MSFT?  Any ideas what's wrong?  Anyone know if this is a 64bit issue?
    Monday, November 3, 2008 7:00 PM
  • FIXED!  Uninstall and reinstall the silverlight addin and it fixed the issue.  How the addin got corrupted beats me.  But it's fixed.

Thanks everyone!
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:47 PM
  • phreedom said:

FIXED!  Uninstall and reinstall the silverlight addin and it fixed the issue.  How the addin got corrupted beats me.  But it's fixed.

Thanks everyone!

I did it, but I still have the problem. :(
    Friday, November 7, 2008 12:51 PM
  •  Sorry to hear MDS.  I am also sorry to say that for some reason my IE silverlight add in goes koo koo and doesn't display anything on IE (other than "install silverlight" icon as descripted above).  I keep uninstalling and reinstalling the add in.  It works for a bit, then it stops working.  I'm starting to think that it may not be the add in that has the issue....
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:48 AM
  • I've got the answer here

With Silverlight 2.0 , we need Blend 2 SP1 instead of Blend 2.5 or Blend 2 Preview version
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:42 PM