Hi,

I got this error 

Incorrect syntax near ')'.

and this is my query

what's wrong here?

string sql = @"SELECT * FROM 
     (
     select * from (
     SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 7 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NEWID()) a
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 84 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 6 and IsSpecial=1 and  Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) b
    UNION 
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 72 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 5 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) c
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 60 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 4 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) d
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 48 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 3 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) e
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 36 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 2 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) f
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 24 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 1 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) g
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 12 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 0 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1 and ExpireDate  >=@ExpireDate ORDER BY  NewId()) h
    ) results
    ORDER BY results.Stars DESC, results.UpdateDate DESC";

thanks a lot!

Monday, July 25, 2016 10:40 AM

Answers

• User1242245693 posted

I don't think any error is there in the query 

Such unexpected problems can appear when you copy the code from a web page or email and the text contains unprintable characters like space etc.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 10:57 AM

All replies

• User1242245693 posted

I don't think any error is there in the query 

Such unexpected problems can appear when you copy the code from a web page or email and the text contains unprintable characters like space etc.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 10:57 AM
  • User-1693623980 posted

no i dont copy it frome anywhre else I wrote it

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:04 AM
  • User-1693623980 posted

when I run this query in sql management studio directly it works fine, but when I use it in visual studio (my asp.net application) I got that error!

SELECT * FROM 
     (
     select * from (
     SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 7 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NEWID()) a
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 84 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 6 and IsSpecial=1 and  Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) b
    UNION 
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 72 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 5 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) c
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 60 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 4 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) d
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 48 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 3 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) e
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 36 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 2 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) f
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 24 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 1 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) g
    UNION
    select * from ( 
    SELECT TOP 12 PERCENT * FROM tbl_adv WHERE Stars = 0 and IsSpecial=1 and Confirm='1' and show=1  ORDER BY  NewId()) h
    ) Results
    ORDER BY Results.Stars DESC, Results.UpdateDate DESC

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:25 AM
  • User-1693623980 posted

thanks Nishant,

the error was related to another methodes in masterpage.

excuse me, thanks

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:33 AM