Setup Failure for the 2008 install RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just downloaded the SQL Server 2008 trial.  Tried to install and it failed on .Net framework 3.5.  Manually downloaded and installer .Net framework 3.5 and ran 2008 installer again.  This time it runs for a while then fails with:

The path to the installed bootstrap cannot be found due to the missing key ;Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap' in the registry.

Error code 0x84B20001.

I saw another thread about a similar error that said to uninstall the partial install, but I have nothing like that to uninstall.  The PC I'm installing on is a XP Pro SP2 PC with 1GB ram.  It currently has SQL 2005 installed.

Any ideas?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Please file a bug with a zip of setup logs (by default they are located under %Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\) through the SQL Server Connect program at:

http://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver/feedback

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

Sunday, March 16, 2008 12:14 AM
  • I had the exact same scenario and error - I didn't manually download and install .net though, i just tried a second time, lol

---------------------------
    Setup Failure
    Setup has encountered the following error:

The path to the installed bootstrap cannot be found due to the missing key 'Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap' in the registry.

Error code 0x84B20001.
    OK  

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:35 AM