List displays 4th-8th items based on Modified date RRS feed

• Question

• Might sound odd, but I have a request where, for example, if a list had 20 items, displayed in decending order by most recently Modified. the only items that would display would be the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th items in the list.

Any recommendations on how to do this?

The site is MOSS 2007 w/Publishing.

Much thanks!

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• It does indeed sound strange.

Have you looked at converting the View of the list first to a Data View/Form Web Part and then on to XSL and seeing what your options there are ?

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:09 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Walsh, will do.

Maybe by explaining the request there'll be a better solution.

The layout is custom. Essentially, there's a table with two columns. There is a list of 20 items. The requester wants to display 8 items, the most recent four in the left column, and the older four in the right. The other twelve Items will live in limbo until they're deleted.

The cheap and dirty I was thinking of would be to show the same list twice on the page, the left WP with a 4 item limit. The right would be the same, but skip the first four items. There's very likely a better solution, but I haven't come up with it.

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:28 PM
  • It sounds like you could do as Mike said above or perhaps use the ootb Content Query Web Part and modify ItemStyles.xsl and use XSL there to show your list how you need to

Perhaps use pos()=1 or  ... or pos()=4 then put here

Then if pos()=5 or ... or pos()=8 then put in this column (layout, design wwith HTML divs etc.)

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:58 PM