Newbie TFS Question: Feature Request Form RRS feed

• Question

• I am a total and complete newbie to this so please forgive me if this was asked / is a really obvious question.

I am pulling together a team to develop a rather large web application. The team is / will use Visual Studio and is developing this application in .Net (ASP.net). I ame using Team Foundation Server 2010 and the process template in use is "MSF For Agile".

Here is my question: Is there a "Feature Request" function that I can use and expose to our client as a web page / web form? I would like to allow the client(s) to make feature requests, request changes, submit bugs, etc in a self serve manner whereby they can simply visit a web page and fill out a form that will walk them through entering all the information (feature title, feature description, issue, bug etc) and capture that data.

Once submitted, I would like to be able to easily find, manage and run reports on these requests / bugs / etc.

Can I / How can I do this in TFS 2010?

Thanks in advance for your help and any pointers, this will really go a long way in helping me manage all the change requests, feature requests, and bugs the client and their team continually contact us about.

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think it is better to create a Custom Work Item Types as per your requirements where users can submit their inputs, then provide the access to the users using Work Item Only View which is a Limited Functionality of Team System Web Access and it doesn't require a Client Access License(CAL) for the users.

Check this MSDN library for information on WIOV:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668124.aspx

By using this approach, it will be easy for planning,tracking and reporting.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you familiar with TFS Work Items?

A user can submit Bugs, Change Request and Feature Requests through TFS Work Items. Bug and Change Request are the default Work Item types, for Feature Request you can create new Work Item type and modify the fields as per your requirements. Bug Work Item Type is available in both CMMI and AGILE templates,where as Change Request available only in CMMI process template.

Clients can use TFS web access feature to access the Work Items & fill out the requests into the Work Items.

Friday, August 6, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I am familiar with TFS work items but I was looking for a solution that would allow the client to submit ideas, feature requests, change requests, bug's etc directly through a web form that would be captured within TFS somehow so that we can track it, plan using it and report on it.

I want a solution that will not require the client to have an account, or use credentials (this is a private, LAN only web page). Is this supported in TFS 2010? Is there a feature I should be looking for?

Friday, August 6, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

I think it is better to create a Custom Work Item Types as per your requirements where users can submit their inputs, then provide the access to the users using Work Item Only View which is a Limited Functionality of Team System Web Access and it doesn't require a Client Access License(CAL) for the users.

Check this MSDN library for information on WIOV:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668124.aspx

By using this approach, it will be easy for planning,tracking and reporting.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Thank you, I am going to look into the approach you suggested and see if it does the trick.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Hi AH,

Does Jehan33's suggestion works!

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:44 AM