none
[Windows 10 Pro - Released version] Unable to Install App using EnterpriseModernAppManagement CSP RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to implement modern app installation by using Windows 10 MDM.

Here is the partial syncml which I am sending to device. I am trying to install LINE app from windows store.

<Add>
    			<CmdID>20f1be42-9410-4da0-a20b-d75b02d5a6c5</CmdID>
    			<Item>
    				<Target>
    					<LocURI>./User/Vendor/MSFT/EnterpriseModernAppManagement/AppInstallation/NAVER.LINEwin8_8ptj331gd3tyt</LocURI>
    				</Target>
    			</Item>
    		</Add>
    		<Exec>
    			<CmdID>446479d6-e3d7-4ee8-8e89-c7239d9c7c5c</CmdID>
    			<Item>
    				<Target>
    					<LocURI>./User/Vendor/MSFT/EnterpriseModernAppManagement/AppInstallation/NAVER.LINEwin8_8ptj331gd3tyt/StoreInstall</LocURI>
    				</Target>
    				<Meta>
    					<Format xmlns="syncml:metinf">xml</Format>
    				</Meta>
    				<Data>
    					<Application id="14d7946c-072e-43f1-afbf-2ca5033b2dc5" flags="0"/>
    				</Data>
    			</Item>
    		</Exec>
    		<Get>
    			<CmdID>446479d6-e3d7-4ee8-8e89-c7239d9c7c5c</CmdID>
    			<Item>
    				<Target>
    					<LocURI>./User/Vendor/MSFT/EnterpriseModernAppManagement/AppInstallation/NAVER.LINEwin8_8ptj331gd3tyt/LastErrorDesc</LocURI>
    				</Target>
    			</Item>
    		</Get>

Here is the result, I am getting back. ( status - 500 ) but LastErrorDesc says "Operation completed successfully."

<Status>
    			<CmdID>3</CmdID>
    			<MsgRef>1</MsgRef>
    			<CmdRef>446479d6-e3d7-4ee8-8e89-c7239d9c7c5c</CmdRef>
    			<Cmd>Exec</Cmd>
    			<Data>500</Data>
    		</Status>
    		<Status>
    			<CmdID>4</CmdID>
    			<MsgRef>1</MsgRef>
    			<Cmd>Get</Cmd>
    			<Data>200</Data>
    		</Status>
    		<Results>
    			<CmdID>5</CmdID>
    			<MsgRef>1</MsgRef>
    			<Item>
    				<Source>
    					<LocURI>./User/Vendor/MSFT/EnterpriseModernAppManagement/AppInstallation/NAVER.LINEwin8_8ptj331gd3tyt/LastErrorDesc</LocURI>
    				</Source>
    				<Data>The operation completed successfully.
    </Data>
    			</Item>
    		</Results>

App hasn't been installed. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Biz_M,

Where do you get this Application id from?

<Application id="14d7946c-072e-43f1-afbf-2ca5033b2dc5" flags="0"/>

Thursday, October 1, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Hi P.G.Petrov,

Thank you for helping me out.

It is generated as a random uuid, as documentation is not much clear about that.

Friday, October 2, 2015 1:19 AM
  • Hi Biz_M,

I have similar problems with this. In my opinion, the MDM documentation is quite poorly written at the moment. I think the Application Id is actually the Product Id of the app in the Windows Store. For the NAVER.LINE app the product Id should be - 9wzdncrfj2g6

Also, it might be that the Meta format is not xml, but chr instead. You should test both. Please let me know, if you managed to install an app. I'm currently stuck where Exec returns Success (200), but I get no app on the device.

• Edited by P.G.Petrov Friday, October 2, 2015 10:08 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Any info on this?

Has anyone actually managed to make this work? Either for AppInstallation or StoreInstallation?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Hi P.G.Petrov,

Not yet.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:01 AM
  • How did you find the PFN?
    NAVER.LINEwin8_8ptj331gd3tyt
    Monday, October 12, 2015 11:42 AM
  • Suvankar_1986, you can get the PFN by viewing the source of the app web page. Let us know, if you manage to install an app.

• Edited by P.G.Petrov Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hi, I'm able to install both hosted and store app. But in case of store app device is not sending notification whether the installation is done or failed.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Can someone confirm if the device sends notification for store app installation?

Regards,

Priya

Friday, November 6, 2015 5:49 AM
  • For HostedInstall windows gives notification but for StoreInstall it's not sending any notification as of now.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Just for info, are you guys using the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 version?

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hi Suvankar_1986, 

Could you let me know the commands you are sending to get it work ? I am still unable to install apps.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Hi Biz_M,

you want for hosted install or appstore install? for hosted install you need to write a resumeStreaming servlet or whatever to download the file. follow this link to implement resume streaming "http://balusc.omnifaces.org/2009/02/fileservlet-supporting-resume-and.html"

Let me know your requirement.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:28 AM
  • Hi Suvankar_1986,

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to get app store install working.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:56 AM
  • For Store app installs you need to have the app associated with an entitlement via the Business Store.  The user also needs to be logged in with their Azure AD identity that the app is assigned to.

John Vintzel Microsoft Corporation| Program Manager | twitter: jvintzel

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hi John,

Do we have to login using AAD to install free apps from Windows Store?

Regards,

Priya

Monday, January 18, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Hi John.V,

Thank you for your reply. Do I still need to have Azure AD / Business Store even if I want to install public free apps from windows app store ? 

Thanks.

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Yes. Installing via MDM requires AAD auth for the StoreInstall command.

John Vintzel Microsoft Corporation| Senior Program Manager Lead | Universal Windows App Deployment & Enterprise | twitter: jvintzel

Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hello John.V,

Thanks for your reply. I would also like to know how do we get the PFN for the enterprise apps. I know it exists in package.appxmanifest but while pushing the app through EnterpriseModernAppManagement CSP how do I get this value without actually opening the project in VS.

Any pointers would be really useful.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hello,

Can someone who is using MDM to install enterprise apps in Windows 10 suggest a way how to get the PFN?

Thanks

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

it´s totally simple to get pfn. Microsoft offers a genius way for this. Search for the app in windows store with a browser like firefox or edge -> activate web development tools (F12) and search DOM or html for pfn tag. In my case i found it in a view lines of javascript code.

I´m sure it´s much simpler this way than to show it on details page itself.

I´m sorry if there is a more simple way but i haven´t found anything else to get the pfn.

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hello WP8 Dev,

Thanks for your reply. The method that you have suggested works for store apps, but I want a method for enterprise apps i.e. the ones that are not uploaded to the store but distributed internally within an organisation. 

As the protocol suggests that PFN is required for enterprise app installation/uninstallation would need some help to resolve this.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Hello Ruhaan,

Why don´t you have the pfn? In my opinion you just have an enterprise app in the following two cases:

1. You develop the app yourself -> You have the pfn

2. You let the app build by some company -> They can tell you the pfn while delivering the app.

Sorry is there another case i do not think about with enterprise apps?

Greetings

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Yes. Installing via MDM requires AAD auth for the StoreInstall command.

John Vintzel Microsoft Corporation| Senior Program Manager Lead | Universal Windows App Deployment & Enterprise | twitter: jvintzel

Is still a requirement? It makes no sense for custom MDM providers that don't utilize AAD. How would one go about installing free app store apps?

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:03 PM