Power button need's to be more clear

General discussion

• I have been playing around with the windows developer preview for quite a while now. But last night when I went to tern off my computer, something was a miss. I couldn't find the power button! After 5 minutes of looking (I was tired) i just pushed the power button on my PC.

This morning I've been searching high and low for it, but eventually i just gave up. I figured that at this stage Microsoft has mainly worked the developer preview around tablets, and it will be added at a later date. But then when I was playing around with the charms and clicked settings I noticed the power symbol. Naturally i clicked it thinking that a power management window should pop up, but instead i was greeted to the shut down options.

Now. The problem here is that shutting down your pc is not a setting. Its a function! the shut down function does not belong in settings and I believe that its placement should be revised. E.g. Perhaps it could have it's own charm (but this may be easy to hit by mistake) or perhaps it should be in a tile on the start screen.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• I'll second that, would you be happy if your wife moved the remote control or they shifted the bread in the supermarket?

Exactly tame rules apply to a UI, stop hiding things where we don't expect them to be.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I ran into the same problem. We need a shutdown "icon" thats available, identifiable and is direct. This one is definitely in the wrong location.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Fully agree. The last thing you want to do is make tired people hunt around for the power button. Paradigm shifts aside, these minor things should work without having to think about it. I gotta whole tablet interface to get over to begin with.

By the way, I am going with Ctrl-Alt-Del method right now. Is there a better way to shut this thing down?

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:30 AM
  •  

I just lock my computer and then I can shut it down.

Dont know if this helps ( I locked because I am logged in with a live id) from there you have to options to shutdown too.)

Alt L  after the if you are logged and locked you system and then you see a power button on the right. if you click it you see  "sleep" "Shutdown" and "Restart"

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:06 AM