none
Can I use VS Community 2015 to develop some scripts for internal use in a big company

Question

• Hello,

Just would like to know, as a system administrator, may I have the right the use VS Community 2015 to develop some scripts for internal use in a big company without paying any fees ?

I've already read the EULA, but it's not very clear for me.

Thx

Xiang

Monday, September 12, 2016 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi copdips,

Thanks for your post again:)

I remember I replied to you in another thread about this similar question, right?

For your question, as it is not for any commercial purpose, you could absolutely develop this scripts for your company internal use, let's see the content in the VS 2015 Community white paper:

Organization licenses. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio extensions and Xamarin Component Store or Visual Studio Marketplace components.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
    • If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
    • If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for open source and education purposes as permitted above. An "enterprise" is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 computers or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and "affiliates" means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

Please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/mt171547.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Copdips,

As I mentioned before, it's totally ok, for example, many big company use TFS(a source control tool) for application sharing or editing, this script property is like this as open source.

By the way, if you think my reply is useful, please mark it as an answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same question. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Xiang Zhu Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi copdips,

Thanks for your post again:)

I remember I replied to you in another thread about this similar question, right?

For your question, as it is not for any commercial purpose, you could absolutely develop this scripts for your company internal use, let's see the content in the VS 2015 Community white paper:

Organization licenses. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio extensions and Xamarin Component Store or Visual Studio Marketplace components.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
    • If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
    • If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for open source and education purposes as permitted above. An "enterprise" is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 computers or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and "affiliates" means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

Please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/mt171547.aspx

Best Regards,

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Lana,

Thx a lot for your reply, yes I created 2 threads ^^

These scripts are mainly for server maintenance, and these scripts wont be published to the outside the company.

You confirm "a big company's internal used scripts" can be considered as "open source and education purposes" ?

Regards,

Regards, Copdips

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Hi Copdips,

As I mentioned before, it's totally ok, for example, many big company use TFS(a source control tool) for application sharing or editing, this script property is like this as open source.

By the way, if you think my reply is useful, please mark it as an answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same question. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Xiang Zhu Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:58 AM
  • hi Lana,

Many thanks for your confirmation.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Regards, Copdips

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi my friend,

You are welcome:)

Best Regards,

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:14 AM