none
Database Project Template in Community or Professional version of Visual Studio

Question

• I have an extensive database project in a project I am trying to get started. I have grown to love the simplicity of using the database project.  Unfortunately my MSDN subscription is about to expire for a failed bizspark attempt from three years ago.  I can not afford Enterprise.  I could do professional or community. 

What are my alternatives? 
    Can I buy just that piece as an Add on for Visual Studio Professional?

3rd party project template that does the same thing but at a much cheaper price?

Some tutorials for handling database changes with out my crutch of the database project?

Monday, December 21, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Danscan1,

>>I have grown to love the simplicity of using the database project.

>>What are my alternatives? Can I buy just that piece as an Add on for Visual Studio Professional?

Do you mean that you want to create the SQL Server Database project in VS2015?

If so, as far as I know, the VS2015 community and professional versions all support this project type.

This is the result of the VS2015 community:

Reference "Development Platform Support" item here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs.aspx

>>3rd party project template that does the same thing but at a much cheaper price?

Sorry for that I'm not very sure that what the third party project template is, if you mean that you want to use other developing tools for the database project developing, since we didn't support third party tools or products, sorry for that I couldn't provide help for this issue:)

>>Some tutorials for handling database changes with out my crutch of the database project?

For this issue, if you really want to know more about the SQL Server database project, you could post a new thread in the SSDT forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=ssdt

There you would get dedicated support for the SQL Server Database project.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Danscan1 Monday, December 28, 2015 1:46 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Danscan1,

>>I have grown to love the simplicity of using the database project.

>>What are my alternatives? Can I buy just that piece as an Add on for Visual Studio Professional?

Do you mean that you want to create the SQL Server Database project in VS2015?

If so, as far as I know, the VS2015 community and professional versions all support this project type.

This is the result of the VS2015 community:

Reference "Development Platform Support" item here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs.aspx

>>3rd party project template that does the same thing but at a much cheaper price?

Sorry for that I'm not very sure that what the third party project template is, if you mean that you want to use other developing tools for the database project developing, since we didn't support third party tools or products, sorry for that I couldn't provide help for this issue:)

>>Some tutorials for handling database changes with out my crutch of the database project?

For this issue, if you really want to know more about the SQL Server database project, you could post a new thread in the SSDT forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=ssdt

There you would get dedicated support for the SQL Server Database project.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Danscan1 Monday, December 28, 2015 1:46 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:50 AM
  • The fact that the community edition supports the database project was really all I needed to know.  I thank you for the answer.  I could not find a detailed list of what projects were available per edition and before I uninstalled enterprise and installed community I wanted to make sure it was available.

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:48 AM