none
WDS 3.0 Install mode and SDK RRS feed

• Question

• So far I was using WDS 2.6.5. I had created VB.NET application and used SDK to get search result programatically. Can anyone answer following questions so that I can start my experiments on WDS 3.0.

1. Is there any SDK avialable for WDS 3.0? if not when can be expected? if yes please send me the Link?

2. Is WDS 3.0 is also getting installed in per-user basis? Some body told that it will be installed in per-system basis. if so search index created by one user can be used by another user, is it right?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:12 AM

Answers

• Shree123,

There was a bit of a hold-up in getting the additional 3.0 information in a public spot.  As you stated, however, a good portion of the formal 3.0 information is available in the current Vista SDK (and more will be available shortly).  Please keep an eye on this forum as I'll be posting as soon as we have examples and code samples available.

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:23 PM

All replies

• Shree123,

1.  While a "formal and complete" SDK is not currently available for 3.0 beta 2, we do have a large amount of information that will be available for 3.0 very shortly.  I'll post links to this information in this thread as soon as I have them. 

2.  WDS 3.0 runs as a service and is installed on a per-system basis.  There is one index that is used by all users.  Of course, users are only able to see search results that they are "allowed" to view.  For example, let's say that User 1 is allowed to see drives A, B, and C.  User 2 is only allowed to see drive A.  If user 1 runs a query, he/she will see results from drives A, B, and C.  If user 2 runs the same query he/she will only see results from drive A.

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:50 PM
  • Paul, any updates on SDK for WDS 3.0?. I heard that WDS 3.0 SDK is integrated in Windows vista SDK RC1. is it true? If so WDS 3.0 will work only with .NET Framework 3.0.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:42 AM
  • Shree123,

There was a bit of a hold-up in getting the additional 3.0 information in a public spot.  As you stated, however, a good portion of the formal 3.0 information is available in the current Vista SDK (and more will be available shortly).  Please keep an eye on this forum as I'll be posting as soon as we have examples and code samples available.

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:23 PM