none
What's the purpose to sing application in Visual Basic 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add hardware dongle to protect my software. I got errors. The dongle manufacture told me to unsign my application during building. I usually with the options, Sign the ClickOnce manifests and Sign the assembly, checked. My questions are what's the purpose to sign application and what will happen if the application is not signed during build?

It may be a stupid question. However I really want to know the answers. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:35 PM

Answers

• Signing an assembly is a mechanism to ensure the authenticity of the assembly. It ensures that an assembly hasn't been tampered with and that it originated from the author.

I'd ask the dongle manufacturer for more details.

You are aware that virtually every dongle scheme has already been either defeated or emulated, right ?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:15 PM

All replies

• Signing an assembly is a mechanism to ensure the authenticity of the assembly. It ensures that an assembly hasn't been tampered with and that it originated from the author.

I'd ask the dongle manufacturer for more details.

You are aware that virtually every dongle scheme has already been either defeated or emulated, right ?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Thank you, Devon.

I understand that dongle may not be 100% protecting. In fact I'm using software protection now, which is CPU depended.  I encountered an issue now is that the user said that he changed his computer. If I issue a key for his new computer, I can't confirm whether the old computer is really not used anymore. How should I solve this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:59 PM
  • You really should post this as a separate thread, that way another person might see it if they are experiencing a similar issue.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:46 PM