none
Outlook fails to create MAPI Named Properties for Office Doc properties after drag & drop...e.g. Author, Title, Categories etc...missing, but TaskItem Named Properties appear instead RRS feed

• Question

• Usually, dragging & dropping any Office doc from windows (7, x64) into a basic, non-default Mail & Post Item Folder in Outlook (2007, Personal Folders, Primary Exchange Mailbox) results in an Outlook DocumentItem with MAPI named properties (visible using Outspy) created corresponding to the Office Document properties:

e.g. Author, Title, Subject, Comments, Category...etc....these can be inspected using OutSpy.

However, something I've done seems to have changed this operation, so that when I drag&drop, the Only Named Properties I get are all those traditionally seen on TaskItems.

Any ideas for re-setting the default Outlook operation, or why this may be happening at least ?

Thx in advance,

Jim

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:56 PM

Answers

• I don't think there is anything you can do except file a bug report with MS (which they will probably close as "functions as designed" unless you work for a company with a couple million Office licenses :-)) - old files were COM based OLE storage files (IStorage) and all the metatags were stored in the easy to extract streams in the IStorage file. The new format (a zip file with a bunch of files) stores the metatags in a separate file inside the archive, so Outlook will need to unzip the file, extract the embedded files, then parse the XML. I bet the old code that processes the metatags was never updated when the new format was introduced.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.4 is now available!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• are you testing this on the same set of office documents? try create completly new ones, maybe old ones got corrupted.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:11 PM
  • I did try that, unfortunately to no avail; it also happens in my seocndary PST store as well as my default Exchange mailbox;

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Are these the old style DOC or the new ZIP/XML based DOCX files?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:51 PM
  • ah...looks like that's it...Office 2007 & 2010 .docx files do not result in any "MSword-specific" MAPI Props being set;

Is there anything I can do here ? It's quite a useful background operation....

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:24 PM
  • I don't think there is anything you can do except file a bug report with MS (which they will probably close as "functions as designed" unless you work for a company with a couple million Office licenses :-)) - old files were COM based OLE storage files (IStorage) and all the metatags were stored in the easy to extract streams in the IStorage file. The new format (a zip file with a bunch of files) stores the metatags in a separate file inside the archive, so Outlook will need to unzip the file, extract the embedded files, then parse the XML. I bet the old code that processes the metatags was never updated when the new format was introduced.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Ho hum...I'll just need to get to that 2m licence barrier ! Thanks Dmitry.  

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:26 PM
  • remember that you can always do it yourself. there is opem xml sdk that allows you to extract this info and OOM with property accessor which will allow you to set that data on documentitem
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:13 AM
  • And if it is any consolation, Redemption behaves the same way - when you create a new RDODocumentItem, Redemption extracts all the meta data properties from the IStorage based files, but not from the new ZIP/XML ones... I need to fix that one day...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:26 PM