none
Biztalk 2010 You are attempting to install Windows SharePoint Services Adapter Web Service on a virtual server that has not been configured with Windows SharePoint Services. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have encountered an error when trying to install the Biztalk adapter on the Sharepoint 2010 server. The Sharepoint server is running fine and has a custom site collection setup on it.

When I open the Biztalk adapter configuration tool and enter the details, I am told that there is a validation error:

"You are attempting to install Windows SharePoint Services Adapter Web Service on a virtual server that has not been configured with Windows SharePoint Services. Refer to the documentation for instructions on extending a virtual server. (CWssAdaCfg)"

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

The server setup is as follows:

Sharepoint Server 2010 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

SQL Server 2008 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

Biztalk 2010 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

• In case you have multiple load balanced SharePoint servers you may need to add additional URL manually. I had to do that to be able to install the adapter on the second SharePoint foundation server when I installed on two SharePoint foundation servers connected to the same configuration database. I think I added either additional external or internal URL for the second server so they had one each. Then it is found as extended.

Cheers

Niklas

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:18 PM

All replies

• No one has encountered this problem with Sharepoint 2010 and Biztalk 2010? That's surprising as I have found loads of posts related to Biztalk 2006 & WSS 3.0...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

I recognize the error from previous experiences with other BizTalk platforms, but BizTalk 2010 I did not ran into this issue. For reference see my post, as my environment is x64 and similar to yours.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi Steef-Jan,

Many thanks for your reply. Google actually brought me to your website last night when I was searching for a solution.

How do I extend the default website? I can't find it in your post so is it done automatically upon installing?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Hi John,

It will be done automatically.

Cheers,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/

BizTalk
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:15 PM
  • In case you have multiple load balanced SharePoint servers you may need to add additional URL manually. I had to do that to be able to install the adapter on the second SharePoint foundation server when I installed on two SharePoint foundation servers connected to the same configuration database. I think I added either additional external or internal URL for the second server so they had one each. Then it is found as extended.

Cheers

Niklas

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Niklas,

Thanks very much for your reply. Can you elaborate a bit on how you add an additional URL?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:43 PM
  • It was some time ago and I have no server here, but my notes from before if it helps?:

-          SharePoint Central Administration

-          ”System Settings”, click ”Configure Alternate Access Mappings”

-          Make sure ”Show All” is chosen under ”Alternate Access Mappings Collection”

-          Check ”Internal URL” column så all SharePoint-servers are in this list

-          If missing ”Add Internal URL’s”
    Cheers
    Niklas

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:54 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue you describe by doing the following:

1. Start SharePoint 2010 Centa Administration

2. Under Application Management, select Manage web application

3. Select one of the web applications (other than the Central Administration v4)

4. Click Extend on the ribbon bar (2nd button from the left)

5. Open BizTalk Server Configuration.  Click SharePoint Adapter

6. Select the site you just extended in the Windows SharePoint Services Adapter Web Site dropdown list

Hope this helps.

Michael

• Proposed as answer by mhbianc Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Ensure that the account being used to configure the SharePoint Adapter within the BizTalk Server Configuration utility (i.e. your account or the BizTalk Server configuration account) has access in SQL Server to the SharePoint Content and SharePoint Configuration databases. The Configuration utility will access these databases as part of validating the configuration. The minimal permissions you need are as follows:

1. A member of the Public and WSS_Content_Application_Pools roles within the SharePoint Configuration database.
    2. A member of the Public and db_owner roles within the SharePoint Content database.

See the "General Considerations" under the "Considerations for a multiserver deployment" section of the following BizTalk Help document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa547280.aspx

• Proposed as answer by DSHester Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:01 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:00 PM