none
Run-Time Error '32809' RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have an excel macro with ActiveX control in excel sheets that works for a while, but stopped working after windows updated. The error message is "Run-Time Error '32809'. I have searched through the web but did not find a solution. Anyone has any idea or solutions, please kindly share. The weird part about this error is that, the macro works just fine in some computers.

    Thank you in advance,



    • Edited by Ben2015 Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:42 AM

All replies

  • See http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2014/12/11/forms-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates-.aspx

    Quit all Office applications.
    Start Windows Explorer.
    Enter %temp% in the address bar, then press Enter.
    Use the Search box to search for *.exd
    Delete all found files.
    You can also open the following folders within the Temp folder and delete the .exd files in them:
    - Excel8.0
    - VBE
    - Word8.0
    Restart Windows.
    (Thanks to Excel MVP Rory Archibald for pointing to the .exd files)


    Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Mr. Hans Vogelaar. I have tried this, unfortunately it didn't work. Is there any other solutions or hotfix for this bug?

    Thank you.

    Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

    Based on the runtime error 32809, the error should be Application-defined or object-defined error. Also here is an article about this error:
    Application-defined or object-defined error

    I suggest that you debug the code to see which line of code cause this issue. And if the issue hasn't fixed yet, would you mind sharing the line of code with us?

    Regards & Fei


    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

    Friday, December 19, 2014 8:33 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    I had the same problem, as soon as I saved a file in Excel 2013, it would crash with the 32809 error in a previous version of Excel. I removed the MSForms.exd earlier this week due to the fact that I, all of a sudden, could not add ActiveX controls to my Excel sheets anymore. As of than the 32809 errors in older versions started.

    I now have copied the MSForms.exd of a laptop where I did not have this problem to the laptop that created the problems and lo and behold! It worked. 

    So if you have access to a laptop or pc where you do not experience problems, copy the MSForms.exd file and paste it in the same directory on the pc/laptop that gives you the problems. 

    Johan.

    P.S.: I now have the problem back that I can't add ActiveX controls on my sheets. That's a bit awkward.


    • Edited by JvWensen Friday, December 19, 2014 1:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JXBXL Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:24 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 1:37 PM
  • I sorted my ActiveX problem by deinstalling Office update KB2726958! Nów I am happy!

    Can I charge Microsoft for the lost business hours in finding the resolution for this!???

    • Edited by JvWensen Friday, December 19, 2014 2:19 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 2:18 PM
  • I seem to get around this problem only by swapping the exds in and out.

    When you have a machine that got the patch it creates a version of the exd which somehow embeds something on each file. If you send a file from that machine with the patch to another machine that didn't get the patch, or you remove the patch from your machine, then you will have 32809 issues. If you remove the patch, restore the exd from when you had the patch, then you can open the file without 32809 issues. You can then swap back the newer exd and save the file and it seems to work. Quite a hassle.


    • Edited by Jarkk Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

    Same issue : works in 2013, then open in 2010 and crash

    The issue appears to be that the Sheets and ActiveSheets objects in certain instances behave as
    if they have lost their context/pointer. For example

    tShtOpenOn = ActiveSheet.Name            gives the bug, change it to
    tShtOpenOn = ActiveCell.Worksheet.Name   and F8 steps and executes

    The fix for me is to stop the code, click Run>Re-compile and save under another .xslm
    file name.  Then open that and the problem has gone away.

    Notes:
    Here is another statement that I couldn't get around:
    Sheets(pSheetName).Activate

    Interestingly the object inspector shows Item1 which I'm trying to activate, is a Worksheet,
    whereas Item2 is a Sheet2 object. If I select Item2 which is listed as a Sheet2 object,
    and is named "DocCtrl" and replace the statement with
    Sheets("DocCtrl").Activate
    then the statement executes quite happily, but not if I type the name listed for Item1

    Deleting everything in %TEMP% does not resolve the issue.

    Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:40 AM
  • Deleting everything in %TEMP% does not resolve the issue.

    It is possible that you don't have all security updates, have a look here:

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/1bf8892e-f833-467e-844e-79e34195d19e/error-32809-on-some-machines-after-update-december-2014

    Andreas.

    Monday, January 19, 2015 8:12 AM

  • Solution For “Runtime Error ‘ 32809’ Application-Defined or object-defined error.”
    • Close all MS Office Application
    • Uninstall all the Microsoft Office Updates KB2920753 if KB2920753 not avaible then Uninstall all Office Updates.
    • Download and Run MicrosoftFixit51031
    • Download and Run MS Office Update KB2920754
    • Restart your Computer.

    Prashant Shah

    Friday, July 10, 2015 5:52 AM