none
Add-in written in C#, visual studio 2010 , does not work for Office 2013 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have an Application Level Addin which is written in C# for MS word, MS powerpoint and MS Excel written for Ms office 2010.There is an msi installer written in Wix. we wanted to support ms office 2013 64bit .The only change we did was added a check for Ms office 2013 , and added GUID for Ms word, powerpoint and excel of 2013 . Unfortunately , MS word is not able to detect my plugin for 64 -bit and even the functionality is also not working .

Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hello Chava,

> Unfortunately , MS word is not able to detect my plugin for 64 -bit and even the functionality is also not working .

Do you see the add-in in the COM add-ins list? 

Most probably you didn't add the required windows keys for the add-in or simply used a wrong hive for adding. See Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins for more information.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in when you try to debug it, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Is your add-in listed in the Inactive add-ins list?

Also you may find the Deploying an Office Solution section in MSDN helpful. In case if you use an MSI installer see the Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer page which describes all the required steps for creating installers.

Finally, you take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Is your installer 64 bit? If not, it will create the keys in the Wow6432Node, where the 64 bit Office apps will never see it even if your addin is compiled as x64 or "Any CPU".

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Friday, July 3, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hi Eugene ,

Thanks for the reply.The problem is that the addin is not getting listed in the COM addin's list. We Used the WiX v3.0 , and tried adding the check for MS office 2013 . I took the GUID's from here for Ms excel, word ,powerpoint

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1fd8690a-812c-49f9-a77e-e19f24de7c4e/office-2013-pia-component-ids?forum=vsto

Previously it was written for Ms office 2007 , Ms office 2010 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) , now adding for Ms office 2013 (for 32 bit and 64 bit ). The component Id for 32bit office works well . But it doesn't install for 64bit office. Actually the registries are not getting set for 64 bit office plugin . The registries are :

<Property Id="EX201364INST">
                <!-- This is the Component Id of Global_Excel_Core -->
                <ComponentSearch Id="DetectExcel201364Bit" Guid="{E3BD1151-B9CA-4D45-A77E-51A6E0ED322A}" Type="file"/>
            </Property>
            <Property Id="WD201364INST">
                <ComponentSearch Id="DetectWord201364Bit" Guid="{13C07AF5-B206-4A48-BB5B-B8022333E3CA}" Type="file"/>
            </Property>
            <Property Id="PP201364INST">
                <ComponentSearch Id="DetectPowerPoint201364Bit" Guid="{05758318-BCFD-4288-AD8D-81185841C235}" Type="file"/>
            </Property>

<RegistryKey Root="HKLM" ForceCreateOnInstall="yes" Key="Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\MyWordAddin">
                                  <RegistryValue Name="FriendlyName" Type="string" Value="MyWordAddin"/>
                                  <RegistryValue Name="Description" Type="string" Value="MyWordAddinPlugin"/>
                                  <RegistryValue Name="LoadBehavior" Type="integer" Value="3"/>
                                  <RegistryValue Name="CommandLineSafe" Type="integer" Value="1"/>
                                  <RegistryValue Name="Manifest" Type="string" Value="file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\MyWordAddin.vsto|vstolocal"/>
    </RegistryKey>

This is what i have done in my Product.wxs file. (repeated those for excel and ppt)

I tried inserting in Program Files but it is forcibly installing in Program Files(x86). I am a beginner in Wix . Any sugesstions?

VSTO 2010 is used.

Thanks

Aditya Chava

Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Do you build your Wix project as x64? If you do not, you will end up installing in SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\MyWordAddin instead of Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\MyWordAddin. Do you actually see the right registry key being created?

Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Hi Dmitry ,

I am building wix project using x64 . I am unable to get the registry for the addin created in the Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\MyWordAddin . I got some errors

error LGHT0204 : ICE80: This 64BitComponent RegistryEntriesFor64BitOffice uses 32BitDirectory INSTALLLOCATION

Does this matter.

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 17, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Make sure that required windows registry keys are created on the end user PC. See Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins for more information. 
    Friday, July 17, 2015 11:35 AM
  • So your WiX project cannot even be built in x64, right?

Friday, July 17, 2015 1:57 PM
  • I guess that it can be built in x64 , what i did was i tried to built it using x64 in configuration.But it build the project with the error but the msi is generated.The msi works for 64 bit office2010 but not for office2013.

Sunday, July 19, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hi Chava Adiya,

>>I am building wix project using x64 . I am unable to get the registry for the addin created in the Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\MyWordAddin . I got some errors

error LGHT0204 : ICE80: This 64BitComponent RegistryEntriesFor64BitOffice uses 32BitDirectory INSTALLLOCATION<<

Please ensure the registry entries for VSTO Add-ins were created successfully on the computer which has this issue as Eugene and Dmitry suggested.

If you have problem creating registry using Wix, I suggest that you get more effective support from Official site of Wix.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:15 AM