Video on Blackberry RRS feed

• Question

• User-1865378163 posted

Hi All:

We've developed an ASP.NET website that provides progressive download Flash videos for a client.  These videos can get pretty large (upwards of 50 MB) which makes them very poor candidates for mobile delivery.  When they try to view them from their mobile devices the video content is very "hitchy" as you can imagine.

Can anyone help me understand what we need to to in order to make large videos like this one available to users of mobile devices.  It sticking with Flash do we need to look at streaming servers?  Is there a better video format that we can host over HTTP for mobile devices?  Should we be looking at non-Flash streaming resources?

Any information and direction you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank you; Happy New Year.

RF

Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• User1943143334 posted

Hi,

Recently BlackBerry made a contract with Adobe for Flash support in their devices, especially for BlackBerry Playbook. Old BlackBerry devices wont support Flash.

One more thing, Mobile browsers cannot play videos until the HTML 5 supports. So better provide an option for the users to download the videos to the Mobile devices, and they can watch using any compatible Video application.

Hope it helps u...

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:33 PM
  • User-1865378163 posted

So how do you recommend they access the video?  Do we simply place links within our mobile-ready web pages directly to the file?  Are Blackberry users then able to simply select the link and download locally to their device? 

Thanks for your help.

RF 

Monday, January 3, 2011 11:48 AM
  • User1943143334 posted

Hi,

You can provide links for the videos, and let users download that videos to their devices and play in any of the Video player available. I think this is the ideal solution for ur problem.

Check this link also,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/How-can-i-watch-flv-videos-online-with-my-blackberry/td-p/67904

Hope it helps u... 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 10:25 PM
  • User-333223682 posted

Hi Ropesh,

I was searching video play on Blackberry browser and got some code. I didn’t try it but I wanted to share it with you. Is it applicable or not?

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11942/Play_a_video_in_the_BB_Browser_740284_11.jsp

Can it be a solution for “RF’s” problem?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:14 AM
  • User-1865378163 posted

Thanks for the link.  I think that's exactly what he was suggesting, creating a link to the remote video resource which forces the user to download the file to their device from which they play it.

Thanks very much!

RF 

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:54 AM
  • User-172010379 posted

thanks for this my blackberry always freezing when attempting to view a video, i don't know wt happening. Blackberry probably putting soft ware without testing them properly! ssaul

Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:54 PM