extracting background of image via image processing

Question

• hello there !
    i was wondering of creating an app that just display background of current picture. i mean if you click your camera with a face in front and some background, the app returns just background of an image.

is there any link, libraries or dll i must use to perform image processing.
    what about openCV?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:15 PM

Answers

• OpenCV itself has experimental support for the WinRT but I don't know if it is available for WP as well. There is however a C# implemented library that can do face detection using OpenCV compatible definitions described in this article on Nokia Developer: http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Detecting_Faces_on_Windows_Phone

If you allow for user interaction the best way to isolate a background I have seen so far is available as part of the Nokia Imaging SDK and is called the InteractiveForegroundSegmenter. You can have the user draw with his finger over the foreground and background in different colors and the library will figure the required masks out itself. You could also use the above mentioned image recognition library to create the annotations required by the Segmenter. A sample App for the interactive drawing is available to test out how it works.

The Imaging SDK is available for Windows Phone 8.0+ and Windows 8.1/Windows RT 8.1. Here's the quickstart for how to start out with the Imaging SDK: http://developer.nokia.com/resources/library/Lumia/nokia-imaging-sdk/quick-start/qs-w81-wp81.html

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by DevImran Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:30 AM

All replies

• OpenCV itself has experimental support for the WinRT but I don't know if it is available for WP as well. There is however a C# implemented library that can do face detection using OpenCV compatible definitions described in this article on Nokia Developer: http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Detecting_Faces_on_Windows_Phone

If you allow for user interaction the best way to isolate a background I have seen so far is available as part of the Nokia Imaging SDK and is called the InteractiveForegroundSegmenter. You can have the user draw with his finger over the foreground and background in different colors and the library will figure the required masks out itself. You could also use the above mentioned image recognition library to create the annotations required by the Segmenter. A sample App for the interactive drawing is available to test out how it works.

The Imaging SDK is available for Windows Phone 8.0+ and Windows 8.1/Windows RT 8.1. Here's the quickstart for how to start out with the Imaging SDK: http://developer.nokia.com/resources/library/Lumia/nokia-imaging-sdk/quick-start/qs-w81-wp81.html

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by DevImran Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:30 AM
  • Hi Devlmran,

I would recommend you write your own code for image processing. If you have any questions when writing code, you can open new thread here.

>is there any link, libraries or dll i must use to perform image processing.

Yes, you can search on internet and give them a try.

>what about openCV?

I’m not familiar with openCV. Hope other community members can help you.

By the way, this question is not a problem about windows store app.

Have a good day.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Hi Oliver Ulm.

Thank you very much, you provided enough to have a good start with openCV and windows phone. its really nice of you.

Best Regards, 

DevImran

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:09 PM