none
Load office template using office javascript apis RRS feed

• Question

• I have started working on developing Microsoft web add-in for word, Powerpoint and Excel. So, I went through all Microsoft documentation for the web add-in and start working on some features as a POC of that add-in. I got stuck when I am trying to open an existing  '.potx','.dotx','.xltx' file. So far, I have not been able to find any methods in Microsoft office javascript API documentation.  

Thank you in Advance.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Animesh Lohar,

Currently, Office Online only allows docx, xlsx, pptx files.

So because of this reason you did not get any methods to open templates files.

To use template files in Office Online first you need to open the template file in desktop Office and convert it to docx, xlsx, pptx file.

Then you can save that file on OneDrive and create a new copy of file in Office Online to use it as template.

To verify the same, You can refer links below.

Use my custom templates in Word Online

Can I create templates in Word Online?

Word online Templates

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Animesh Lohar Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you elaborate more what type of add-in functionality are you trying to achieve?

Best regards,

Riwut Libinuko
    Principal Architect, Singapore
    Office Servers and Services MVP | Singapore
    Blog : http://blog.libinuko.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi Animesh Lohar,

Currently, Office Online only allows docx, xlsx, pptx files.

So because of this reason you did not get any methods to open templates files.

To use template files in Office Online first you need to open the template file in desktop Office and convert it to docx, xlsx, pptx file.

Then you can save that file on OneDrive and create a new copy of file in Office Online to use it as template.

To verify the same, You can refer links below.

Use my custom templates in Word Online

Can I create templates in Word Online?

Word online Templates

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Animesh Lohar Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:44 AM