none
ReportViewer 10.0.30319.1 (VS2010 RTM) versus 10.0.40219.1 (VS2010 SP1) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Report Viewer with ASPX web pages.  We build all our web apps with TFSBuild so all dependencies are checked into source control.  Since report viewer is not a standard part of .NET, and build agent doesn't have VStudio installed, we have to treat it like external dependency.  We also use CopyLocal to ensure reportviewer ends up in BIN folder of web server as it is not installed on web server.

Some of our developers are on VS2010 SP1 and some are on VS2010 RTM.  I noticed the version of ReportViewer changed; and also Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll is no longer present after SP1 is installed.

1) Can we build/deploy using any version of ReportViewer on any version of MSBUILD?  Obviously if we don't have the SP1 version we won't have the SP1 fixes, but will it break anywhere?  I am concerned about using a mismatched set of tools and controls.

2) Are there any restrictions on the ReportViewer control versus the SSRS server version or service pack level?

I am trying to find out if using "old versions of controls" with "newer versions of tools" is supported.

Thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:00 AM

Answers

• To answer you first question you can mix and match the Dev10 versions of the controls for building and deployment, the version number bump was only a minor version bump so you should be fine. For your second question you can use older versions of the controls against newer versions of SQL Server Reporting services.

The ProcessingObjectModel assembly was not removed in SP1 this should still be present. When you look in the GAC is the assembly in there? Are you seeing this dll removed on all of your development machines that have SP1 installed? Thanks!

Matt M

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties

• Proposed as answer by Matt Meyer - MSFT Friday, October 21, 2011 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by tballard Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:39 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• To answer you first question you can mix and match the Dev10 versions of the controls for building and deployment, the version number bump was only a minor version bump so you should be fine. For your second question you can use older versions of the controls against newer versions of SQL Server Reporting services.

The ProcessingObjectModel assembly was not removed in SP1 this should still be present. When you look in the GAC is the assembly in there? Are you seeing this dll removed on all of your development machines that have SP1 installed? Thanks!

Matt M

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties

• Proposed as answer by Matt Meyer - MSFT Friday, October 21, 2011 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by tballard Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:39 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:49 PM
  • It is on my machine in the GAC.  I will make sure to copy the files from my GAC and not C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\ReportViewer to the build machine to ensure the right DLLs end up in my BIN folder on the web server.

Is there a way to deploy the ReportViewer to the GAC on the web server using a Microsoft install?  Currently we are making sure stuff from our GAC ends up in BIN on web server.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:51 PM
  • You can download the ReportViewer redist from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6610

Or you can get it from you local SDKs install path here:
    <ProgramFiles>\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\ReportViewer

Matt M.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:38 PM