none
MIGRATION FROM EXCHANGE 2003 TO EXCHANGE 2010 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 Enterprise.

EXISTING ENVIRONMENT

• Domain Controllers (2): Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, Domain & Forest Functional Level Server 2008
    • Client Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional , Windows 7 Professional
    • Client Email: Outlook 2007 SP3 (Part of Microsoft Office Standard 2007)
    • Smartphones: Apple, Droid

QUESTIONS

1. Is my environment compatible with installing Exchange 2010 Enterprise on Windows Server 2012?
    2. I have read that SP3 is required installation for Exchange 2010 to run on Windows Server 2012. Is this true? If yes, are there a lot of bugs that still need resolving?
    3. What version of Windows Server 2012 should I install?

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:54 PM

All replies

• 1. You must install latest service pack to Exchange 2003 before starting migration to Exchange 2010

2. Yes, you must have SP3 to install on Win2012. Exchange 2010 SP3 is very stable version and you should not expect any significant bugs.

3. Standard version will be fine.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

• Proposed as answer by damirdMVP Friday, October 11, 2013 7:56 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for your response DAMIRD.

What about my exisiting environment (domain, client operating systems & outlook version)? Any compatibility issues with with Server 2012 and Exchange 2010?

EXISTING ENVIRONMENT

• Domain Controllers (2): Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, Domain & Forest Functional Level Server 2008

VICTORIA ZONA

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:13 PM
  • All other seems to be fine for Exchange 2010 deployment.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for your response DAMIRD.

At a glance and based on all of my research, I feel the same, that "All other SEEMS to be fine for Exchange 2010 deployment". I am looking for a more specific answer, like YES or NO. If NO, why.

VICTORIA ZONA

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:56 PM
  • It will be very unprofessional for any expert to give you absolute Yes or No, based on data that you provided in a few posts on the Forum.
    I think that this is maximum that you can get here, for more support you will have to have someone on site.

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Thanks for your help anyway.

VICTORIA ZONA

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:15 PM
  • We are migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 Enterprise.

EXISTING ENVIRONMENT

QUESTIONS

1. Is my environment compatible with installing Exchange 2010 Enterprise on Windows Server 2012?
    2. I have read that SP3 is required installation for Exchange 2010 to run on Windows Server 2012. Is this true? If yes, are there a lot of bugs that still need resolving?
    3. What version of Windows Server 2012 should I install?

Looking for an answer to question #1. It seems like a basic compatibility question and my answer based on research is YES. However, if anyone in this forum feels like it is not compatible OR might not be compatible, please let me know and why. I have provided detailed information on the environment but if you need more information, please ask.

Many thanks.

VICTORIA ZONA

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:24 PM