none
VBA Application is Crashing in Excel 2010 version and forcing me to end through Task Manager RRS feed

• Question

• -Symptom Description:
    I am experiencing the non-responsiveness of excel and forces me to kill excel from the task manager when I do task like downloading operations data.

It has been identified that COM add-ins created for lower version of Excel are not compatible with a later version of excel and is causing crash. Sometimes receiving “Type Mismatch Error”.

-Environment: 
    I am using Excel 2010 in Windows 7 64 bit.

-Any recent relevant configuration change(s):
    I have installed the following MS Office 32 bit patches to make my one of the application work.

SP2 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=39667
    KB2553154 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45224
    KB2920813 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46301

Question

1. What could be the exact reason to fix the excel crashing problem since COM-Addin developed with the older version of excel and are being used in the newer version of excel such as 2010?

2. Is this issue related to microsoft office 32 bit patches installation?

I do not think the patches installation could be the issue since my one of the application requirement is that and works after this installation.

Thanks ...Loganathan

Thursday, June 1, 2017 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you create a COM add-in or VBA project?

If you open the Excel in safe mode and achieve the process manully, would it crash? If it just crashes when you using your project and it is reproducible in other computers, i think you need to check your code and debug the project. 

If a project doesnt work in one certain version and the issue could be reproduced in other computers which have the same version, after installing Office update, the issue has been fixed, we could consider the issue causes from Office, so i would suggest install the latest version.

>>I have installed the following MS Office 32 bit patches to make my one of the application work.

If all the test computers have the same Office version with all updates, but the project doesnt works for all of them, i would consider the issue causes from the computer environment instead of the code.

Besides, I think the first thing we need to consider for project migration should be the references. Does the new version support the references? If a project targeted an old version and it would crash down the new version, i think it might be compatibility issue and re-compile and re-target to the new version would be the solution.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 8:43 AM