Report for Multiple Line project Custom Field in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to have a report on each PDP in which i have used the project custom field whose type is Multiple Line of Text. I tried to create a view in Project Center, but these fields are not coming. Is there any way we can show these values or i need to create a Custom report e.g. excel or so.

Thanks & Regards, Benno
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Benno,

Use can uses SSRS built-in Replace function to replace your HTML tags, like below:

= Replace(Fields!ProjectName.Value,"<p>","")

Below article will help you for the same.

http://geekswithblogs.net/microsoftian/archive/2009/04/15/adding-carriage-return-functionality-to-textbox-in-ssrs-2005.aspx

http://bisqlserver2005.blogspot.com/2008/06/useful-built-in-functions-of-ssrs.html

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Alexander.Burton Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Benno EPM Monday, May 16, 2011 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Benno,

I think you're correct, multiple lines won't show up in the Project Centre view. To get at the information I think your in SQL Server Reporting Services or Excel territory.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update :( because here they want to have report on each PDP and there is a lot of Custom field with Multiple line Type.

Anyways we have to do thats it :-|

Thanks & Regards, Benno
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

So your effectively trying to export the contents of the PDP page to a report? If so, check out the 'Export Project to Office' solution starter, I am looking at using it on another project. It effectively lets you pull anything out of the custom fields and push it into a Word, Excel or PowerPoint file. Might meet your requirement.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I tried using the Export Project to office, but once i click export i am getting a web page error with no contents. :(

Also when i was creating report (SQL or Excel) the text from multiple line type is coming with <p> tag. Is there a solution to remove this.

Thanks & Regards, Benno
    • Edited by Benno EPM Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:36 PM updated
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Hi Benno,

Use can uses SSRS built-in Replace function to replace your HTML tags, like below:

= Replace(Fields!ProjectName.Value,"<p>","")

Below article will help you for the same.

http://geekswithblogs.net/microsoftian/archive/2009/04/15/adding-carriage-return-functionality-to-textbox-in-ssrs-2005.aspx

http://bisqlserver2005.blogspot.com/2008/06/useful-built-in-functions-of-ssrs.html

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Alexander.Burton Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Benno EPM Monday, May 16, 2011 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

I was just looking for an answer for the same question & came across this forum. Its been few months old now but hopefully like me someone might need an answer.

Today while trying to add multi line custom field to manage view, that custom field was not available to be added. Later realised it could be that the field's attribute is set to mutli line. So to test this, I changed the field to accept single line of text and this was available to be added in the view. Now you can change the attribute of this field to accept multi line text in server settings> enterprise custom field. The view that was added is still there with the multi line.

But only bit to note is that multi line text field comes with <p> at the start & end of the statements in the project centre. If anyone have a solution to this, it would be great. At the moment we are exporting to excel and strip the <p>.

Kind Regards, Sai

Monday, November 21, 2011 12:41 PM