Vista Business 64bit OS permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am trying to reinstall a mysql database to my computer however I appear to have a problem with my Administrator permissions which is preventing the service from starting when I am installing an instance of the database as a result I end up with an connection error 1045.

I can see that the port 3306 is open and allocated to mysql server, however the error dialogue indicates that the mysql data directory has not automatically been removed on uninstall, my OS may well have hidden this directory because it cannot be found, if my permissions as Administrator are insufficient to allow me to injstall this software without authorisation from a higher level of Administrator how can I ensure that this connection can be authorised?

My OS is Vista Business 64bit if further information on this issue is required I will be pleased to give what I can in order to achieve a successful installation.

EMStephen
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• This web site is for help visitors to write software, which does not look like what you need help with.

Try look for an install/setup forum on forums.mysql.com, it should have better error reporting to tell you what permission is denied.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hi Shen Jang, I am looking for help with a Microsoft Product 'Windows Vista Business 64bit' if you cannot help please let someone from MS reply to this post, I have logged it into the forum for 'Security for Applications in Microsoft Windows' which should be correct for this request for help!

I would guess that a forum on forums.mysql.com would not be as able to advise on this uncomon MS OS.

EMStephen
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:43 PM
  • No the software you need help with is MSSQL not Windows Vista, remove MySQL from your question and your problem is gone, plain and simple. Microsoft does not know what kind of permission MYSQL requires to function, it is the MYSQL team's responsibility to document permissions for their customers be able to grant when necessary.

For example replace MYSQL with a database software written by myself. I write code that require every user to be in the Sheng_Jiang_DBAdministrators group in the user's Windows system to be able to connect to my database. Does Microsoft know how to connect to database when my customer calls? No, they would have no idea that my software requires the Sheng_Jiang_DBAdministrators user group which isn't there when they publish Windows. It is my responsibitlity to educate my customers how my product works (e.g. how grant permission during or after installation if the system default configuration does not have sufficient permissions for my product), not Microsoft, even when I am using Microsoft's Windows Authentication as the user's authentication method.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Friday, April 8, 2011 11:27 PM
  • PPT to Video Converter is the best Powerpoint Video Converter designed to help you easily and efficiently convert PowerPoint presentations to almost all popular video formats such as MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MOV, ASF, 3GP, 3GP2 with excellent quality.

Ideal for trade show, digital signature, in-store displays and video podcast(upload to YouTube). With PPT to Video Converter you can distribute your PowerPoint presentations anytime anywhere.

PowerPoint 2007 to Video, PowerPoint to AVI, PowerPoint to mpeg, PowerPoint to FLV, PowerPoint to WMV, PowerPoint to MP4, pptx to video, PowerPoint to movie
    Monday, April 11, 2011 7:07 AM