none
Command Bar Buttons Are Not Being Removed from Microsoft Word Right-Click Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on an add-in for Word that involves adding items to the right-click menu. However, every time I update and rebuild my solution, the menu keeps the buttons from previous builds, creating an excessively large menu. The buttons stay whether the add-in is enabled or not. Here's what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/GzAZv77.jpg

How do I reset the right-click menu to default and prevent this from happening again the next time I build my solution? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I have figured out how to prevent this from happening. However, the right-click menu is still bloated.
    • Edited by dealing16 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Command bars were deprecated and not used any longer. You need to use the Fluent UI for customizing the context menus in Office applications starting from Office 2010. See Customizing Context Menus in Office 2010 for more information.

All your command bar customizations are stored in the Normal.dot file which is located in the user templates folder (File tab | Word Options | Advanced | File Locations will show you the exact path). You will have to display hidden files and folders to see it. Try to remove it (don't forget to save it somewhere first) and see whether it helps to remove old context menu items. Or you will have to remove custom context menu controls programmatically.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi dealing16,

>> However, the right-click menu is still bloated.

What do you mean with command bar buttons from Right-click menu? Do you mean menu buttons when you right-click Word content or menu buttons on top of Word? What is your Word version? As far as I know, command bars is longer used and you need to use Office custom UI like context menu.

If you are using context menu, I am not sure whether your own menu or word built-in menu is bloated. If you do not want word built-in menu, you could hide it. If you mean your custom menu, I think you could use submenu or dynamicMenu control.

You could refer the link below for more information.
    # However, the right-click menu is still bloated.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee691832%28v=office.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:33 AM
  • Hello,

Command bars were deprecated and not used any longer. You need to use the Fluent UI for customizing the context menus in Office applications starting from Office 2010. See Customizing Context Menus in Office 2010 for more information.

All your command bar customizations are stored in the Normal.dot file which is located in the user templates folder (File tab | Word Options | Advanced | File Locations will show you the exact path). You will have to display hidden files and folders to see it. Try to remove it (don't forget to save it somewhere first) and see whether it helps to remove old context menu items. Or you will have to remove custom context menu controls programmatically.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:53 PM