none
Simple question: how do I create a console application with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015?

Answers

• So you are doing this?
    Walkthrough: Creating a Standard C++ Program
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235629.aspx
    Please copy-paste content of output Windows, when you do a Build->Rebuild Solution.

With kind regards

Saturday, June 18, 2016 8:02 AM
  • Hi Thomasjoel2,

Could you please provide some detailed steps about how do you create the C++ console application? It can help us reproduce this problem in our side and find out whether this problem caused by your creating steps or the Visual Studio itself.

Following is my steps to create the C++ console application. Please compare with your steps.

1. Open File -> New -> Project.
    2. Choose Visual C++ -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Application.
    3. Right-click the project to choose Build to build it.
    4. Right-click the project to choose Open Folder in File Explorer.
    5. Up to previous level of current folder.
    6. The console.exe file is generated under the Debug folder.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

which version of Visual Studio 2015 did you install?

And in which language do you want to write the application?

The console application project can be found in the templates in a path like

Templates / Visul C# / Windows / Classic Desktop.

If you installed an express edition than the template might not be available because there are multiple editions andveach one covers just one target e.g. UWP, Web or classic windows applications.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, June 17, 2016 6:52 PM
  • I installed the Visual Studio Community version. I found the console application path, but now I can't get the .exe to build. I hit build and the compiler tells me that the build was successful, but when I go to debug the program it doesn't run because there was no .exe file created.

Thanks for the quick reply Konrad. I hope I can hear back from you again.
    Friday, June 17, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

could you give us more details please?

You created a Visual C# Console Application?

And how did you start the build and what are your settings?

When you build a c# console application, the debug build is normaly inside a bin\Debug folder and the release build is inside bin\Release. C++ is different, then the default directories are Debug and Release.

You can configure your solution to decide what should be build and not build inside Build -> Configuration Manager ... And the build Toolbar could be useful to see the choosen build (debug or release) and to start a build process.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, June 17, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Hi Thomasjoel2,

An EXE file is created as long as you can build the project... so you can usually find EXE on the debug folder of you project.

C:\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ProjectName\bin\Debug

Hope this was helpful for you...

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:47 PM
  • Hi Konrad,

I created a Visual c++ console application. I checked off the SDL and made it as an empty project. The debug folder is empty after building.
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 12:18 AM
  • So you are doing this?
    Walkthrough: Creating a Standard C++ Program
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235629.aspx
    Please copy-paste content of output Windows, when you do a Build->Rebuild Solution.

With kind regards

Saturday, June 18, 2016 8:02 AM
  • Hi Thomasjoel2,

Could you please provide some detailed steps about how do you create the C++ console application? It can help us reproduce this problem in our side and find out whether this problem caused by your creating steps or the Visual Studio itself.

Following is my steps to create the C++ console application. Please compare with your steps.

1. Open File -> New -> Project.
    2. Choose Visual C++ -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Application.
    3. Right-click the project to choose Build to build it.
    4. Right-click the project to choose Open Folder in File Explorer.
    5. Up to previous level of current folder.
    6. The console.exe file is generated under the Debug folder.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:44 AM