none
Where did the "Form" go ?

Question

• I have used Basic since GW BASIC, Q BASIC, and Early Visual Basic (Think Windows 2000), but left developing for a while as thing got more and more complicated.

Recently I Downloaded Visual Studio Express 2015, and bought a copy of James Foxall's Visual Basic 2015, but by the time we got to page 4, I could not find "Windows Forms Application" in the New Project dialog. As far as I can see, it is just GONE.

This is what opens on my computer...

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be quite welcome.

Thanks, Elias

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

there are multiple versions of Visual Studio 2015 Express available:

- for Desktop - That should be the version that includes Windows Forms
    - for Web - That targets web development
    - for Windows - this seems to be the version that you installed. This targets the new UWP (Universal Windows Plattform)

Did the license for Visual Studio Community didn't fit for you? That would have been my suggestion for private use.

With kind regards,

Konrad 

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for Konrad Neitzel's reply.

Hi Elias,

I agree with Konrad Neitzel's thoughts. According to the screenshot, your installed Visual Studio Express should be Express for Windows.

If you want to create Windows Forms project, please download the Visual Studio Express 2015 for Desktop version from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

And if you want to use Visual Studio Community version as Konrad Neitzel suggested, you also can download it from above link.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there are multiple versions of Visual Studio 2015 Express available:

- for Desktop - That should be the version that includes Windows Forms
    - for Web - That targets web development
    - for Windows - this seems to be the version that you installed. This targets the new UWP (Universal Windows Plattform)

Did the license for Visual Studio Community didn't fit for you? That would have been my suggestion for private use.

With kind regards,

Konrad 

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for Konrad Neitzel's reply.

Hi Elias,

I agree with Konrad Neitzel's thoughts. According to the screenshot, your installed Visual Studio Express should be Express for Windows.

If you want to create Windows Forms project, please download the Visual Studio Express 2015 for Desktop version from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

And if you want to use Visual Studio Community version as Konrad Neitzel suggested, you also can download it from above link.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:25 AM