none
For BizSpark Members... RRS feed

• Question

• We have heard quite a lot of your feedback regarding recent changes to the BizSpark Subscription Program.

While I understand Microsoft's response on this has been limited so far, there is now some important information has been posted on the BizSpark page that I want you to be aware of.  We're still working with the BizSpark team on proper communication about their changes, but I wanted to highlight 3 important changes to the BizSpark FAQ that you may not have seen.  I have copied the contents of each of the FAQ items below, as well as provided links directly to the questions.   Particularly note the second paragraph in the first FAQ I copied below.

Our callcenters have been flooded regarding this issue, and we have also seen many complaints on the forums and over the 'site feedback link.  Please continue to be vocal about any issues you have. 

I'll continue working to get answers to your questions from the BizSpark team.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Subscriptions Support

Why was my account deleted?

Some Startups did not receive the renewal confirmation email we sent them for their 1st anniversary in BizSpark, and did not renew on the BizSpark website. After 3 months they were removed. We can re-invite these legitimate companies; Startups just need to send us an email to BizSpark@microsoft.com with their company information.

While removing a number of memberships because of key misuse, we also deleted some accounts in error. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and will restore all incorrectly removed accounts as soon as possible. If you believe your account was removed in error, please contact BizSpark@microsoft.com. We will either contact you directly to clarify any concerns, or validate and re-enroll your account as soon as possible.

Once again, our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

What happened to my subscription in February? Where are the missing SKUs?

Based on the feedback from some BizSpark Startups we temporarily reduced the number of Windows and Office SKUs as well as the number of keys allowed. However, we reinstated all SKUs after receiving strong feedback from Startups building native Windows or Office applications, letting us know that they needed every edition of Windows and Office.

Why do we get fewer Keys for Office and Windows?

The BizSpark program is, above all, a program for developers. We provide tools (Visual Studio, Expression Studio, and others) for building your applications. We also provide the platforms those applications may target (Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, Exchange, Windows Azure, Windows 7, Vista and XP, Office, etc.) for development and test purposes.

BizSpark does not include Internal Use Rights (IUR). In other words, you cannot use any of this software to run your own business.

BizSpark is also, by design, a program that is both generous and relatively easy to access - because it targets small startups. However, that has attracted some misuse - of Windows and Office in particular. As a result, we have reduced the number of Windows and Office keys to two per developer. Keys can be activated several times.

Startups who want Internal Use Rights, including Office and Windows, can get them easily and very inexpensively through the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription - MAPS. Here's a link to an article that describes MAPS. https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:00 PM

Answers

• Everyone, I heard back from the BizSpark team.  The message they gave to pass back was:

The MSDN Ultimate through BizSpark is tailored for Startups.  In order to maintain the free software offer we provide through BizSpark, we had to trim out the Enterprise licensing within MSDN Ultimate.  We hope this hasn’t inconvenienced you.  Please connect with BizSpark@microsoft.com for any additional questions.

They also said they'd heard from quite a few of you and were happy to respond to all questions, so please keep it up.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:51 PM

All replies

• I agree.

Thanks for the very great opportunity you've given us.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:21 AM
  • What about the scenario of in-between resources - designers using the tools provided within Windows 7 (screen shot tools, editing images, for example) to further the development of the product? I can see the scenario of someone in the 'marketing' department as different and separate from product development. A designer / project manager has a direct relationship and impact on the product in question. Does the Bizspark license allow this type of use? How does this mesh with internal use rights? Thank you
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Can you give us a link to the process of reapplying before the 1 year term is up so that startups do not get kicked out of the program prematurely?

I presume the bizspark@microsoft.com email is for inquiries when the startup enrollment expired, how about startups that have not expired but would like not to have their subscriptions expire?
    Friday, March 5, 2010 10:20 PM
  • But seems there are still no Windows 7 enterprise version and other software. How many times can we activate for one key? 5 or 10 or more? Thank you.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:26 PM
  • I've sent your question off to the BizSpark team Wes, I'll let you know what I hear back.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I've sent your question off to the BizSpark team Alann, I'll let you knpw what I hear back.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I've sent your question off to the BizSpark team Haitao, I'll let you know what I hear back.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Haitao Xue Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I've sent your question off to the BizSpark team Haitao, I'll let you know what I hear back.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thank you Mike, wish good news from you soon. :)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:19 AM
  • No news about win7 entrprise? Please Microsoft give it back.

Peter Strauss

Friday, February 4, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Everyone, I heard back from the BizSpark team.  The message they gave to pass back was:

The MSDN Ultimate through BizSpark is tailored for Startups.  In order to maintain the free software offer we provide through BizSpark, we had to trim out the Enterprise licensing within MSDN Ultimate.  We hope this hasn’t inconvenienced you.  Please connect with BizSpark@microsoft.com for any additional questions.

They also said they'd heard from quite a few of you and were happy to respond to all questions, so please keep it up.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:51 PM