none
visual studio 2010 data providers RRS feed

• Question

• According to this page , it seems as though Visual Studio should have 4 data providers available. However, when I add a new data connection, I only have one provider available (see image below). How do I add the other providers? Specifically, I want to connect to an Oracle database.

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• For a Visual Studio wizard or designer to connect to a remote server (as opposed to a SqlServer database file or an excel file) and have the proper data provider  show up in these wizards, there must be what are called "add-ins" installed to Visual Studio for that data source type.

In Oracle's case, that add-in is a product called "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio". Unfortunately express editions of Visual Studio do not allow add-ins so you won't be able to connect with the wizards to any remote database server using the express edition, and this includes Oracle Database. The Entity Designer is another example of something that cannot connect to any remote server.

This explains why you only see the Oracle data provider in the wizard's select list when you use a "paid for" version of Visual Studio rather than Visual Studio Express.

Note: You can still connect to Oracle *via code* using the Oracle Data Provider for .NET but you cannot use any Visual Studio Express feature that relies on a wizard to connect.

Christian Shay

Oracle

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Hello,

First take a look at Connecting to Oracle in VS2010 Express (within these forums)

Here is another suggestion, download from Oracle which includes the provider and more.

• Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
    • Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
    • Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Objects for OLE 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle SQL*Plus 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.3.0

Hopefully one of these will help.

KSG

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Hi MrBunky, I have done some testing regarding your issue and here are my findings. Please note I purposefully did not install any instances of MS SQL Server either on the test computer.

Firstly, I installed VS 2010 C# Express without selecting the option to install MS SQL 2008 Express SP1. After that, I checked the data providers drop down list, and there is no option to select "Oracle Database".

Secondly, I installed VS 2010 Premium Edition without selecting the option to install the SQL Express verison that comes bundled with the installer. After that, I checked the data providers drop down list, and I do see the option to select "Oracle Database".

To be sure, I also applied VS 2010 SP1 on the system, and still, the above findings remain the same with or without VS 2010 SP1 installed. I would conclude that the Express version does not include the "Oracle Database" option whereas the non-express versions of VS would include it.

I could be very wrong here, but this is what I've actually come across. Someone please correct my post if it is incorrect, thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi MrBunky, do you have VS 2010 SP1 installed? I just installed a fresh copy of VS 2010 on one of my machines to test this out, and I do see the "Oracle Database" data source option on my side.

Have you tried repairing VS 2010? If you haven't, could you please try it with the following steps below?

1. Go to the Control Panel
    2. Select Program, then Programs and Features
    3. Select Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU and click Uninstall/Change
    4. Click Next and select Repair/Reinstall, and then click Next to begin the repair process

Once done, please launch VS 2010 again and check if there are more data providers.

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Hi Systemx,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did this - saw no change. It occurs to me (only now) to mention that I am using Express. Does it simply not come with the extra provider options? I had a quick look at the features list for it, but it doesn't seem to mention database connections one way or another.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Hi MrBunky, can I check with you if you have MS SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 installed on your system as well? Did you tick that option to install MS SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 during the installation of VS 2010 Express? What edition of VS 2010 Express did you install? Visual Basic? Visual C#? Visual C++? Visual Web Developer?
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hello MrBunky,

I am moving your case to the Data Managed Provider forum so that you can get better support.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Hi Systemx,

I do not recall whether I checked that or not. I do not see an entry in my programs list for MS SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1, but several entries involving MS SQL Server 2008. I am using MS Visual C# Studio 2010.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Hello,

First take a look at Connecting to Oracle in VS2010 Express (within these forums)

Here is another suggestion, download from Oracle which includes the provider and more.

• Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
    • Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
    • Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Objects for OLE 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle SQL*Plus 11.2.0.3.0
    • Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.3.0

Hopefully one of these will help.

KSG

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Hi Kevininstructor,

I downloaded and installed the Oracle ODP API as suggested in that thread. And I changed the target framework to ".Net Framework 4" instead of ".Net Framework 4 client profile". I see no new options in the data providers dropdown, though. Do I need to add a data source under the Microsoft ODCB Manager? I checked in there and there are no options for connecting to Oracle either.

I already had a client installation of Oracle 11g on here, and I find it quite odd that I can connect under, say Excel, but I cannot see any way to add a data source or to connect in Visual Studio. I'm surely overlooking something critical.

I will try the larger package you recommend, although I surely will not need 90% of what's in there.

Thanks for the help.

MrB

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Disregard that last part. I _did_ download and install the ODT for VS. I did not read carefully enough before sending that last reply. Sorry about that.

So, I still appear to be stuck.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi MrBunky, I have done some testing regarding your issue and here are my findings. Please note I purposefully did not install any instances of MS SQL Server either on the test computer.

Firstly, I installed VS 2010 C# Express without selecting the option to install MS SQL 2008 Express SP1. After that, I checked the data providers drop down list, and there is no option to select "Oracle Database".

Secondly, I installed VS 2010 Premium Edition without selecting the option to install the SQL Express verison that comes bundled with the installer. After that, I checked the data providers drop down list, and I do see the option to select "Oracle Database".

To be sure, I also applied VS 2010 SP1 on the system, and still, the above findings remain the same with or without VS 2010 SP1 installed. I would conclude that the Express version does not include the "Oracle Database" option whereas the non-express versions of VS would include it.

I could be very wrong here, but this is what I've actually come across. Someone please correct my post if it is incorrect, thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:30 PM
  • For a Visual Studio wizard or designer to connect to a remote server (as opposed to a SqlServer database file or an excel file) and have the proper data provider  show up in these wizards, there must be what are called "add-ins" installed to Visual Studio for that data source type.

In Oracle's case, that add-in is a product called "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio". Unfortunately express editions of Visual Studio do not allow add-ins so you won't be able to connect with the wizards to any remote database server using the express edition, and this includes Oracle Database. The Entity Designer is another example of something that cannot connect to any remote server.

This explains why you only see the Oracle data provider in the wizard's select list when you use a "paid for" version of Visual Studio rather than Visual Studio Express.

Note: You can still connect to Oracle *via code* using the Oracle Data Provider for .NET but you cannot use any Visual Studio Express feature that relies on a wizard to connect.

Christian Shay

Oracle

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Systemx and Christian,

Thank you for your time. That answers my question. I'll look into doing things in code, as necessary.

Cheers,

MrB

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:35 AM